"The Best Whale Watching" Digby by SassyCycler
Digby Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 140 photos
One of the greatest life experiences was my whale watching trip. I went out with the Ocean Explorations outfit. There were 12 of us on the Zodiac, which is a hard bottom inflatable. This is a high end very stable inflatable with a center console and two large outboard motors. Tom, the owner and guide is very knowledge about whales. You are required to wear a jumpsuit that keeps you warm out on the waters of the Bay of Fundy and has mild floatation qualities. Within five minutes of entering the bay we saw a whale! (I spotted it!) All total we saw 8 humpback whales and countless Minke whales. Also many puffin and seals.
Another highlight was the shark right near us that was attacking dinner. We never did figure out what it was it was consuming.
You have to take a 5-minute ferry with your car that costs $4 CAD (R/T and payable upon crossing over) out to Long Island (not to be mistaken for Long Island, NY!). The Ocean Explorations outfit is right there when you arrive...bear left and it's on the right...about 100 yards. Park across the road in the public parking spaces.
Whale watching package was a fair price and better than on the USA side.
The ferry runs every half hour on the hour and half-hour. It will run more frequently and off schedule if there's a lot of people. The day we were there it seemed to be running every 20-minutes. Line up on the right shoulder in the line to board your car. When they are finished deboarding, drive your car down and on to the ferry. Workers will guide you and tell you how to park. $4 CAD Round trip and payable on the first crossover. No money taken on the return.
After whale watching take a quick drive up to the lighthouse.
Or you can try and get something at the lunch shack while waiting for the ferry. It's not healthy food, so if you want something more healthy bring a bagged snack.
- Pros:Easy to get to. Ferry will run off schedule to get more people over when busy.
- Cons:Only one small lunch shack to eat at.
SassyCycler's Related Pages
Digby Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Best Scallops Come From Digby!"
- "Whale-watching in Digby"
- "Digby - Bay of Fundy Scallop Capital"
- "Scallops capital of the world and a whole lot more"
- "Worth a visit for a few days."
- "Arrival by Ferry Boat from St-John"
- "The Best Whale Watching"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Digby
- Hotels in Digby
- Restaurants in Digby
- Warnings and Dangers in Digby
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Digby
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Digby?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Digby
Top 10 Pages
- Philadelphia Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- New York City Intro, 11 reviews, 3 photos
- Yarmouth Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Baltimore Intro, 4 reviews, 8 photos
- Kejimkujik National Park Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos
- Lunenburg Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Montreal Intro, 3 photos
- Digby Intro, 3 photos
- Blue Rock Intro, 3 photos
- Quantico Intro, 2 photos
No friends yet.