Shanghai Shopping Tips by ancient_traveler
Shanghai Shopping: 201 reviews and 264 photos
Theme: Local Craft
Built in 1901, the six-kilometer-long Huai Hai Road commemorates the Huai Hai Battle during Liberation. Today, this road has become synonymous with what is trendy and fashionable in Shanghai. This is commercial street contains more than 400 shops, restaurants and businesses.
As a tourism and shopping street Huaihai Road shares a good reputation with the Nanjing Road. The constructions on both sides of the Huaihai Road are modern and lordly and the upholsteries of the stores are noble and elegant. In this street, the constructions with the occident classic style, the Chinese classic style, the Continental fashion style and the cross-century metropolitan architectural style demonstrate different characteristics, and the strong leisured cultural aura of city is emitting whether in construction appearance or in their interior layout. T
What to buy: he Huaihai Road has centralized the famous stores such as World Boutique, Printemps, Maisonmode and Huating Isetan.They display varieties of articles with world brand name in a lofty stance, which have made the shopping in Shanghai reach the world-class standard.
Theme: Department Store
Shanghai Old Street near the Yuyuan Garden. Known as Fangbang Road, "Shanghai Old Street" with a total of 825 metres, is adjacent to the Yuyuan Garden Bazaar Area and runs in an east-west direction from Zhonghua Road to Henan Road South.
The street can be divided into the eastern and western section. The eastern section keeps the characteristics of residences in the late Qing Dynasty and early Republican day. The houses on both sides of the street are fitted with checkered windows, shop-fronts of wooden boards, balustrades and swing doors, roofs with upturned eaves and protruding corners, laced drain-pipes and horse-shape wall tops. The western section is filled with Ming and Qing style architectures, with black tiles and white-washed walls, red columns and upturned eaves, showcasing styles of old Shanghai. The western section has a number of antique & curio shops as well as restaurants and teahouses, and the eastern sections has a variety of shops including florists, shoe and clothing retailers, noodle restaurants and specialty dealers selling Chinese tea and snacks such as "Five Fragrant Beans".
Shanghai Old Street is an ideal place to explore the Old Shanghai, looking back to the old days.
What to buy: There are bargains to be had if you want to and know how to bargain on this stretch of 800-yard bargain paradise. There are trinkets and souvenirs of all kinds. China's diverse history, culture and ethnic mix provides a great store of traditional arts, crafts and literature. Take the opportunity to see and experience Chinese folk arts.
Nanjing Road, Shanghai 2000
Having long enjoyed fame as "China's Number One Street," Nanjing Road provides a remarkable blend of old and new shopping venues. On the one hand, long-established stores and old famed restaurants have recovered their youthful vigor and their business continues to thrive as never before. On the other hand, utterly new shopping centers have been built, including stores such as Mosta, Manhattan Square, Wings Dressmarket, and Sincere Company.
More Reviews (22)
- See All LANTERNS @ YU GARDEN
- See All VISITING SILK FACTORY
- See All THE BUND SIGHTSEEING TUNNEL
- See All GRAND HYATT SHANGHAI
- See All PUDONG AIRPORT
ancient_traveler's Related Pages
Shanghai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sex and the city... so to speak."
- "Essence of Shanghai"
- "Shanghai! Its a lively city"
- "5 Days in Shanghai"
- "Shanghai - a classic blend of the old and the new"
- "Check out my blog - www.shanghai-eats.com"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shanghai
- Hotels in Shanghai
- Transportation in Shanghai
- Nightlife in Shanghai
- Restaurants in Shanghai
- Shopping in Shanghai
- Warnings and Dangers in Shanghai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanghai
- 26 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Shanghai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanghai
Top 10 Pages
- Bangkok Intro, 119 reviews, 278 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bali Intro, 100 reviews, 206 photos, 7 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 49 reviews, 146 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 64 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bandung Intro, 72 reviews, 119 photos, 6 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 46 reviews, 137 photos, 4 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 42 reviews, 87 photos, 2 travelogues
- Ho Chi Minh City Intro, 29 reviews, 88 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 36 reviews, 78 photos, 3 travelogues
- Phnom Penh Intro, 34 reviews, 75 photos, 2 travelogues
- Nanjing Lu- 56 Reviews, 88 Photos
- The Bund- 80 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Yuyuan Garden- 59 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Oriental Pearl Tower- 61 Reviews, 143 Photos
- Jade Buddha Temple- 25 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Xin Tian Di- 33 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Shanghai Museum- 37 Reviews, 63 Photos
- Huangpu River Cruise- 15 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Jin Mao Tower- 17 Reviews, 36 Photos
- Old Town- 11 Reviews, 22 Photos
See All Shanghai Things to Do