"Uff Da! Welcome to Petersburg, AK" Petersburg by Surfsup1977
Petersburg Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 60 photos
Petersburg, Alaska has a special place in my heart. It's a small fishing village of mostly Norwegian decendents on the tip of Mitkof Island. During the 3rd week in May, they have Little Norway Festival. After my numerous visits to Petersburg, AK...this was my first during Little Norway Festival and let me tell you...IT WAS A BLAST!!!
I departed my plane upon arrival to Petersburg (or "P-Town" as some of the locals refer to it as) to be greeted by the local Alaskans donning their traditional Norwegian bunads on the airport runway. I entered the terminal to be harassed by more locals dressed as Vikings and Valkyries. They threatened to kidnap me and throw me on the "Viking Bus" for a ride through town. Somehow I convinced them I needed to stay and collect my baggage. They abliged...
From the airport, I was taken down to the main street (approximately 4 regular city blocks) where a parade was brewing. Children wearing their bunads were the first to walk down the street, but soon stopped to show locals and visitors their new found skill of Norwegian dance. Next were the Alaskan Native American children wearing beautifully embroidried capes of Alaskan animals such as salmon and bald eagles. A locally built viking ship soon followed carrying people of all ages...cheering and throwing candy...
That was just the beginning. The 4-day events was filled with Norwegian sweaters, traditional Norwegian breakfasts at the Sons of Norway Hall, lots of drinking and random appearances of the local Vikings and Valkyries...
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED EVENT!!
- Pros:Everyone will know you are coming before you get there.
- Cons:Everyone will know you are coming before you get there.
- In a nutshell:Authentic Alaskan Fishing Village with Character to Boot!
See my first entry on Petersburg, Alaska... more travel advice
Bring your rain jacket...no matter what time of year it is... more travel advice
Surfsup1977's Related Pages
Petersburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Living in Southeast Alaska"
- "Alaska's Little Norway"
- "Uff Da! Welcome to Petersburg, AK"
- "Little Norway"
- "From the Water Looks like a cute town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petersburg
- Hotels in Petersburg
- Transportation in Petersburg
- Nightlife in Petersburg
- Restaurants in Petersburg
- Shopping in Petersburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Petersburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petersburg
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Petersburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petersburg
Photos in PetersburgSee All Photos (11)
Top 5 Pages
- Winthrop Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Petersburg Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos
- Panama Intro, 2 reviews, 1 photo
- La Push 1 review, 1 photo
- California Intro, 1 photo
No friends yet.