"Zica (Zhicha, pron. "jeecha") the "red" monastery" Zica by GyuriFT
Zica Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 79 photos
Zhicha was built between 1208 and 1230. In 1219 Zhica became the seat of the Serbian Archbishopic. I tried to find the explanation for unusual color of the church (red) because very few churches in Serbia and Russia are red. In Russia a church would have red color usually if it is "na krovi" ("on blood" = site of someone become a martyr, like the church of Demetrios in the city of Uglich where the son of Tsar Ivan IV ("Ivan, the menacing"***) was found dead). This is obviously not the case with Zhicha. Most sources say, the monastery is red in tradition with monasteries on Athos, but I am not convinced because Hilendar/Hilandar/Chilandariou also founded by King Stefan Nemanja and his son, St. Sava on Mt. Athos is not red.
The church in Zhicha, dedicated to the Ascension of Our Lord, displays the features of the Raska school. There are three layers of painting, each being a separate entity. The earliest frescoes were painted immediately after the first archbishop Sava's return from Nicaea (1219), but only in the choir portions of these have been preserved.
*** The "western" translation "Ivan the Terrible" is widely used but it is incorrect. The word "groznyi" is rather "menacing" than "terrible". "Terrible" would be "uzhasnyi", but the nickname of tsar is "Ivan Groznyi".
- Pros:Architecture, history, frescoes to admire. Monastery-made vine and shljivovica to buy
- Cons:no monastery-made "sladoled" (iceream) for kids to "bribe" them to be patient while mom and dad take the pictures :-)
GyuriFT's Related Pages
Zica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Imperial "Lavra" - Holy Žiča"
- "Zica (Zhicha, pron. "jeecha") the "red" monastery"
- "Red Zica"
- "Žièa Monastery"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zica
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (74)
Have you been to Zica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zica
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Looking for flight options..."
- Wrote a Review Zica at night - somewhat surreal in Zica Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Zica at night - somewhat surreal"
- updated a Zica Travel Page "Zica (Zhicha, pron. "jeecha") the "red" monastery"
- Commented on one of Aurorae's Zica travel pages
Photos in ZicaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Serbia Intro, 13 reviews, 88 photos, 8 travelogues
- Hildesheim Intro, 12 reviews, 59 photos
- Naumburg Intro, 13 reviews, 56 photos
- Studenica Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos
- Decani Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Novi Sad 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Kastoria Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Kalenic Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Prijepolje Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue