"Decani - not just for UFO-logists" Decani by GyuriFT
Decani Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 45 photos
Visoki Decani is a Serb Orthodox monastery located in the small town of Decani, 12 km/7 miles south of the town of Pec. According Wikipedia it has the largest medieval church in the Balkans but I am not 100% sure about that. The cathedral (katholikon) was built before 1335 in Romanesque style. It's frescoes from ca. 1350 are well-preserved.
The monastery was highly respected during it's history and even Ottoman Sultans issued decrees protecting it. It is located in Kosovo and currently is under protection of KFOR/NATO troops.
It is relatively easy to reach the monastery from Pec, but probably it is a good idea to stay in a nearby hotel.
We stayed in the Hotel Swiss which is not far from the monastery even by foot.
Unfortunately I did not look for the fresco with the cross and two aliens(?), but will try to locate it next time.
the fist spaceship?
the second spaceship?
Of course we can't exclude the possibility that space aliens visited Decani, but there is an alternative explanation.
James Hall, author of the Dictionary of Subjects & Symbols In Art writes:
"The sun and moon, one on each side of the cross, are a regular feature of Medieval crucifixion [paintings]. They survived into the early Renaissance but are seldom seen after the 15th century. Their origin is very ancient. It was the custom to represent the Sun and Moon in images of the pagan sun gods of Persia and Greece, a practice that was carried over into Roman times on coins depicting the emperors.
…[T]he sun is [sometimes represented as] simply a man’s bust with a radiant halo, the moon [as] a woman’s, with the crescent of Diana. Later they are reduced to two plain disks. The moon having a crescent within the circle, may be borne by angels. The sun appears on Christ’s right, the moon on his left."
Hence what we see is either two UFO-s with a crew inside or Sun and Moon...depending on someones' beliefs.
- Pros:One of the most impressive Serbian monasteries
- Cons:Absolutely no guarantee, visitors will meet UFO-s and Space Aliens
The selected pictures were taken by my wife. Everyone has a different eye, her camera, too had a different eye than... more travel advice
GyuriFT's Related Pages
Decani Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Decani - not just for UFO-logists"
- "Best attraction in Kosovo"
- "Decani, Kosovo"
- "Monastery and Town in Decani, Kosovo"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Decani
- 6 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (78)
Have you been to Decani?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Decani
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Serbia Intro, 13 reviews, 88 photos, 8 travelogues
- Hildesheim Intro, 12 reviews, 59 photos
- Naumburg Intro, 13 reviews, 56 photos
- Studenica Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos
- Decani Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Novi Sad 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Kastoria Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Kalenic Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Prijepolje Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue