"Manasija monastery near Despotovac" Top 5 Page for this destination Despotovac by GyuriFT
Despotovac Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 89 photos
Close to Despotivac there is a famous Manasija monastery with St. Trinity church. Built between 1407 and 1418 by Stefan Lazarević - son of Grand Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović who lost his life on the Kosovo Polje battlefield in 1389. St. Trinity church has numerous frescoes from 15. century and a 19th century wooden iconostas (to our dismal at this time we visited the iconostas was under reconstruction) It is surrounded by a fortress with 11 towers. The church is a fine sample of late resava style. While the basic style is characteristic for Byzantine architecture, it is also adored with numerous details (observe the windows!) characteristic for Central European gothic architecture as well. It is either a very short drive or a long walk from Despotovac city center.
GyuriFT's Related Pages
Despotovac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Despotovac, Manasija – Memory of Despot Stefan"
- "Manasija monastery near Despotovac"
- "Manasija Monastery"
- "DESCOVER SERBIA tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Despotovac
- Hotels in Despotovac
- Restaurants in Despotovac
- Shopping in Despotovac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Despotovac
- 1 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (75)
Have you been to Despotovac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Despotovac
Photos in DespotovacSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Republic of Serbia Intro, 13 reviews, 88 photos, 8 travelogues
- Hildesheim Intro, 12 reviews, 59 photos
- Naumburg Intro, 13 reviews, 56 photos
- Studenica Intro, 8 reviews, 43 photos
- Decani Intro, 6 reviews, 33 photos
- Novi Sad 5 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hungary Intro, 15 reviews, 14 photos
- Kastoria Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Kalenic Intro, 4 reviews, 23 photos
- Prijepolje Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue