GyuriFT's profile photo

GyuriFT

You can't pronounce it Online Now
provodnik i zajac: nu, provodnik... pogodi! ("rabbit" and the conductor)

My Favorite Pages

Asia

Travel Map

Updated Comment
Odinnthor's Profile Photo
Odinnthor Sep 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Hey George, - just a note to wish you the happiest of Birthdays compadre. Make it a good one....d:o)

GyuriFT Sep 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Thank you for birthday wish. Was OK, but would not mind to have 20 years less ;)

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
    Odinnthor Sep 23, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Strange, - I know exactly what you mean.....d:o)

Other comments
GyuriFT's Profile Photo
GyuriFT Aug 29, 2015 at 2:43 AM

L., did the horrible refugee wave reach you? Since I have two households (in Alsace and in Hungary) - traveling back and forth became a torture. The EuRail became useless (unless you "enjoy" being the 234th passenger in a car manufactured for 54 passengers). You can't use the toilets. If you have a 1st class ticket than situation is marginally better. We did experience TGV trains where the question for the conductor wasn't "do you have reservation with supplement" but "hopefully that guy in 1st class has some sort of at least 2nd class ticket and won't beat me"). I did see people straight refusing to buy any ticket and fighting the hopeless conductor...

This Summer was hot and many trains were disrupted because of purely technical reason.

So I had difficulty to write any advice regarding trains this time - except that "do not use them, use car". The worst are the Italy - Austria and Greece - Macedonia - Serbia - Hungary - Austria routes.

You can see the headlights in the newspapers. It's no good if trains are in the headlights of newspapers nearly every day.

But Germany and France suffers, too... :(

The solution would be MUCH better organization (because, I guess, the refugees will be here anyway).

The situation in Russia is barely better - there, we have ethnic Ukrainians and ethnic Russians from Ukraine escaping the madness. Of course, they escape where the housing + jobs are.

It seems, either the organization is better or these refugees are easier to absorb.
An average Ukrainian is expected to be used as a workforce within few weeks and kids switch the school in few days. That can't be said about Syrian refugees in Hungary or Germany...

Regardless, despite the very good value of European currencies against USD, this Summer wasn't very good for tourists, sorry for that.

With that, nearly everything I wrote about trains + tickets is now obsolete.

GyuriFT's Profile Photo
GyuriFT Aug 29, 2015 at 2:24 AM

Basically, yes. It is Alsace tough, so it's a very special part of France . Understanding Alsatian and speaking German does not hurt here. The life is more "hot" than I wish tough. Less "virtual" touristing, more "real" 365/7/24 thing. Interestingly, this is probably the first country where I live and LOVE it. It's not easy to beat the food + wine to begin with...

leics's Profile Photo
leics Aug 29, 2015 at 2:11 AM

You're in France now! :-)

Drghazi Mar 11, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Thanks for your answer to '$OR EUROFOR BETTER RATE'. I appreciate your advice.

LolaViaggio's Profile Photo
LolaViaggio Mar 4, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'Holiday rentals '. I appreciate your advice.

pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
pieter_jan_v Mar 1, 2015 at 1:29 AM

Hi Gyuri, I just discovered you lived in Paraguay. What a coincidence! When was that? PJ

GyuriFT Mar 1, 2015 at 1:35 AM

A while ago (around 1990) - and it was only for a short period of time.
    That time I wasn't sure where we will settle down. An invitation from an American company from Connecticut decided ultimately everything. Now I am 5 days a week in Alsace (but working in Karlsruhe) - and the weekend is being spent near Budapest in my home.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    pieter_jan_v Mar 1, 2015 at 2:14 AM

I lived there 10 years earlier and we spend more than a year there. So, not even a near miss in time. See you around. PJ

leics's Profile Photo
leics Feb 28, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Welcome back, George. :-)

• leics's Profile Photo
    leics Feb 28, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Yes, I read that post. Glad Eurail works well for at least one person! :-))

GyuriFT Feb 28, 2015 at 11:45 AM

Yes - the way it works is that you have to travel a lot. Quite trivial observation, of course. But even the simple topic:

"I travel a lot, need to use the 3-month Eurail" does raise furhter questions. Did not know for instance, there is a huge price difference: do you mail-order the Rail pass from RailEurope in the States or from RailEurope office located in India. The difference is about $200 or so. Their trick is that the American office uses a very lousy EUR --> USD exchange rate. The Eurail pass base price is always in Euro, not in USD.

68maciek's Profile Photo
68maciek Oct 15, 2014 at 3:38 AM

Hi,

Could you please help our friend Victor (hunterV) from Lugansk, Ukraine? - Misce

Have you heard about it?

Cheers,

Maciek

GyuriFT Oct 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Yes, I sent a note to Matt. As I heard, Viktor could be better off going the other direction - but it is up to him of course. There are barely any jobs in Western Ukraina, the other site has quite bigger salaries and they are prepared. But he could be reluctant to move there - now he regards us as his enemies probably... Anyway, regardless what direction he goes I can send some money for him.

• 68maciek's Profile Photo
    68maciek Oct 16, 2014 at 2:25 AM

It is not right that he is afraid of living in Luhansk anymore.

This summer self defence patrol people (Pravy Sektor?) in Tchernowitz (Bukovina) told me 'we have nothing against Russians (many of them live here) only separatists'.

stamoz's Profile Photo
stamoz Oct 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Thanks for your answer to 'connections'. I appreciate your advice.