"Bodø" Bodø by mingul

Bodø Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 307 photos

Beyond the Polar Circle

Bodø is the largest town of northern Norway and the second of the country. It is a good transport hub as a lot of connections to the north parts of Norway and Sweden pass through Bodø.

Midnight sun is visible in Bodø from June to July. Check their official website for more accurate details.

The end of the line...

Bodø is also the end of the Norwegian Railways tracks. For people who fancy the idea of reaching extremes this is as far North you can reach by using the NSB. However Norway has a train station further north in Narvik, but it that can be reached by the Swedish rail network through Kiruna.

Why did I go there?

Bodø seemed a very interesting place to go when I planned my Scandinavian trip in the beginning. Staying in a city above the Polar Circle had an intrigueing flavour to it. However I must say that the only good use of my visit has been a bit of a rest before heading to the stunning Lofoten islands.

I have been poured with rain on my arrival day, scrambled my way to the hostel through some getting repaired streets and struggled to find anything open at 4PM in the afternoon.

However there are some things to do that I will try to write about in my "Things to do page".

• Pros:Good departure point, Arctic feeling
  • Cons:Weather, Sleepiness of the town
  • Last visit to Bodø: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2009

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2009 at 2:26 AM

so Ive been on the most northern train?went from Kiruna to Narvik and then bus to meet the Hirtugruten for 3 days of sheer beauty to Kirkenes!next time I will take yr ferry from Bodo to the Lofotens!

mingul

“Motto #1: See as much as you can as long as it doesn't become a burnden.”

Badges & Stats in Bodø