"City of Lights" Top 5 Page for this destination Eindhoven by traveloturc
Eindhoven Travel Guide: 332 reviews and 976 photos
Eindhoven has a rich historical background; at first sight a young and modern city, it is actually one of the oldest in The Netherlands!!!
The history of Eindhoven started in 1232, when Duke Hendrik I of Brabant granted city rights to Endehoven, then a small town right on the confluence of the Dommel and Gender streams. The city's name translates literally as "End Yards", Just outside of the city walls stood a small castle. During the Dutch Revolt, Eindhoven changed hands between the Dutch and the Spanish several times, until finally in 1583 it was captured by Spanish troops and its city walls demolished. Eindhoven did not become part of the Netherlands until 1629.Industrial activities initially centred around tobacco and textile and boomed with the rise of lighting and electronics giant Philips, which was founded as a light bulb manufacturing company in Eindhoven in 1891.
The early twentieth Century saw additions in technical industry with the advent of car and famous truck manufacturing company Van Doorne's Automobiel Fabriek (DAF)
Large-scale air raids in World War II (Operation Market Garden) to aid the paratroopers in securing the bridges in and around the town) destroyed large parts of the city. The reconstruction that followed left very little historical remains and the post-war reconstruction period saw drastic renovation plans in highrise style, some of which were implemented very successfully.
Philips, which was founded as a light bulb manufacturing company in Eindhoven in 1891..A very long way to go )))
Instead of choosing the emblem that I choose for you they decide to take this one and I am not so sure that it represent really Eindhoven !!!????
I want also to add an Eindhoven song to my tip
An Eindhoven song
- Pros:My daughter s is living there ...
- In a nutshell:a factory city
Papadopulos retaurant try to be a greek taverna very hard..But its not easy to sell greek mezedes to Nederland... more travel advice
It s typical italian restaurant ...I like the food and specially the manager...because I was trying to speak in Italian... more travel advice
- See All Eindhoven Airport
- See All Woenselse Markt
- Design Academy of Eindhoven
- See All Changing Skyline
traveloturc's Related Pages
Eindhoven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "my hometown, Intelligent Community of the Year2011"
- "City of Lights"
- "Contemporary City of Sports and Technology"
- "Elbow in Eindhoven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Eindhoven
- Hotels in Eindhoven
- Transportation in Eindhoven
- Nightlife in Eindhoven
- Restaurants in Eindhoven
- Shopping in Eindhoven
- Warnings and Dangers in Eindhoven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eindhoven
- 18 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Eindhoven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eindhoven
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 271 reviews, 565 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 246 reviews, 361 photos, 12 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 24 reviews, 120 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 40 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 102 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 21 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Adiyaman Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues