"Kavala" Kavala by traveloturc
Kavala Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 255 photos
Kavala is the second largest city in northern Greece,
The city was founded by settlers from Thasos in about the 6th century BC, who called it Neapolis ("new city")
In the Roman Era Kavala became a Roman civitas in 168 BC, and was a base for Brutus and Cassius in 42 BC, before their defeat in the Battle of Philippi. The Apostle Paul landed at Kavala on his first voyage to Europe
In Byzantine times the city was called Christoupolis by the Greeks and Morunets by the Bulgarians. During the Norman raid in Macedonia (1185), the city was captured and was burned.
In the Ottoman Era ,Kavala was part of the Ottoman Empire from 1387 to 1912. In the middle of 15 th century it is mentioned by the name of Kavala. In the middle of the 16th century, Ibrahim Pasha, the Greek-born Grand Vizier of Suleyman the Magnificent, contributed to the prosperity and growth of Kavala by the construction of an aqueduct. The Ottomans also extended the Byzantine fortress on the hill of Panagia. Both landmarks are among the most recognizable symbols of the city today.
Kavala was liberated by the Greek Navy during the first Balkan war in 1913. After the Greco-Turkish War the city entered a new era of prosperity because of the labour offered by the thousands of refugees that moved to the area from Asia Minor. . Many buildings related to the storage and processing of tobacco from that era are preserved in the city. In the late 50s Kavala expanded towards the sea by Land reclamation of the area west of the port.
Kavalalı Mehmet Ali Paşa in Turkish,born of Albanian parents in 1769 in Kavala in the Ottoman territory of Macedonia (now in Greece) - died at Alexandria August 2, 1849, was Wāli of Egypt and Sudan, and is regarded as the "founder of modern Egypt". The dynasty he established would rule Egypt and Sudan until the Egyptian Revolution of 1952.
His house has been preserved as a museum in the city.
You can definitely believe me that there is 13000 common words
between two languages...
Turkish-Greek common Words
- Pros:Warm People...
- In a nutshell:Sea ...sun and Peace...
The Medieval Aqueduct, is work of the Byzantine period, which held extensive repairs during the Ottoman rule,... more travel advice
The Imaret, a big edifice of the late Ottoman period, a classic example of Islamic architecture located on the west side... more travel advice
traveloturc's Related Pages
Kavala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One day trip to white Kavala"
- "The small... big city"
- "Beauty by the Sea"
- ""Cause traveling is a piece of magic!""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kavala
- Hotels in Kavala
- Transportation in Kavala
- Nightlife in Kavala
- Restaurants in Kavala
- Shopping in Kavala
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kavala
- 9 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Kavala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kavala
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 279 reviews, 573 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 246 reviews, 361 photos, 12 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 24 reviews, 120 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 40 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 102 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 21 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Adiyaman Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues