"From Commagenes to Roger Waters" Adiyaman by traveloturc
Adiyaman Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 76 photos
Adiyaman is situated in the southeastern part of Turkey. At an altitude of 669 m, the land is mountainous, the extensions of the Taurus Mountains covering the northern side. The famous Euphrates (Firat) River flows through the region and delineates the eastern and southern borders of the province.Adiyaman which means (named as dandy) is an important touristic site, possessing great natural, historical and cultural values.
According to 1990 census the population of the central district of the province was 170,75 including bucaks and villages. However due to recent migration, mostly caused by the displaced villagers due to the Atatürk dam (part of Southeastern Anatolian project, called GAP), the population is estimated to be over 200,000. GAP has accelerated the economic activity of the city, especially in light industry....and waiting for the miracle !!!
please watch this small video about Adiyaman
A small video about Adiyaman
Being very close to the plain of old Mesopotamia between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, Adiyaman has been a center of history having witnessing the earliest ages. There exist artifacts dating back to the 4th- millenium BC, like the paintings in the Palanil Cave. Signs of neolithic and calcholithic ages are found at the tumuluses of Gritille and Samsat. Changing hands from Hittites to Commagenes, then from Seljuks to Ottomans, this province has seen many civilizations, remains of which are spread all over the land.
there is many speculations about the name of the city .According to another source the name Vadi-i-Leman (beautiful plain) had changed with time to Adiyaman. Some also believe the name could have derived from Yedi Yaman. Yedi Yaman were seven brothers who were killed by heathens against whom they apparently had risen. It is said that the graves of the brothers can be found to the south of the city...
A small video about Adiyaman
Miraculous you call it babe
You ain't seen nothing yet
They've got Pepsi in the Andes
Mcdonalds in Tibet
Yosemite's been turned into
A golf course for the Japs
The Dead Sea is alive with rap
Between the Tigris and Euphrates
There's a leisure centre now
They've got all kinds of sports
They've got Bermuda shorts
They've had sex in Pennsylvania
A Brazilian grew a tree
A doctor in Manhattan
Saved a dying man for free
It's a miracle...
It's a miracle-Roger Waters
- Pros:Hard to Believe
- In a nutshell:pure history
Adiyaman is very famous with his folkoric local dances.This dances historically are based to the very old time when the... more travel advice
Walking further round the tumulus, you reach the West Terrace, the most sacred place on the mountain. From this terrace,... more travel advice
traveloturc's Related Pages
Adiyaman Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "From Commagenes to Roger Waters"
- "ANCIENT CITIES (ADIYAMAN CITY) 2002"
- "mont of NEMRUD sculpcuture head"
- "historical city"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Adiyaman
- 25 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Adiyaman?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Adiyaman
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 258 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 246 reviews, 361 photos, 12 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 24 reviews, 120 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 40 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 102 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 21 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Adiyaman Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
Latest Adiyaman hotel reviews
- Bozdogan Otel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013