"Afyonkarahisar (Opium Black Castle)" Afyon by traveloturc
Afyon Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 14 photos
First of all I think that we have to solve the misunderstanding about the name of the city ...Afyon is the abbreviation of the city and the exact name of the city is Afyonkarahisar ( a little longer)))and the meaning of this city is Opium black castle ...From the strategical position Afyonkarahisar is accepted as the lock of Anatolia and thats why the independence war of Turkiye was done around this city 85 years ago...The city is also very famous with the cuisine
Please watch this small video about Afyon
A small video about Afyon
People living in Anatolia, which is an important passage between continents, have established important civilizations with the influence of its geopolitical location. Afyonkarahisar is also an important passage on its location in Anatolia and is a factor in establishment, development and expansion of important civilizations.
Chronological order in Afyonkarahisar is as follows:
Old Bronze Age, Hittites, Phyrgians, Lydians, Persions, Hellenistic Period, Roman Era, Byzantine Era, Seljuks, Otomans and finally Turkish Republic.
We come across different cultural layers that carry traces of civilizations that have occurred between the period from the Old Bronze Age until today. Cultural developments that continue with the arrival of Hittites, Phyrgians, Persions, Romans,Byzantines and the Turks have continued without interruption in Anatolia as well as in Afyonkarahisar.
a small video about old Afyon :
The name of the city is derivated from Opium because even in this days many of the people is cultivated opium for making breads and and they are using the oil of opium which has nothing to do with the medicament of Opium ..for somebody who doest know about it only the "milk "of opium is dangerous because it s the base of Morphine and the rest is very useful..
Cultivation of opium poppies for food, anesthesia, and ritual purposes dates back to at least the Neolithic. The Sumerian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Minoan, Greek, Roman, and Persian Empires each made widespread use of opium, which was the most potent form of pain relief, allowing ancient surgeons to perform prolonged surgical procedures.
- Pros:good food
- Cons:very conservative city
- In a nutshell:The lock of Anatalia
Kaymak is a creamy dairy product, similar to clotted cream, made all over the Middle East, Southeast Europe, Iran,... more travel advice
I remember the days when orucoglu hotel was situated in the middle of the city but when the highway pass aproximately 10... more travel advice
traveloturc's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Afyon
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Afyon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Afyon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 279 reviews, 573 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 246 reviews, 361 photos, 12 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 24 reviews, 120 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 40 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 102 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 21 reviews, 83 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Adiyaman Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues