"Where is paradise ?" Top 5 Page for this destination Datca by traveloturc
Datca Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 270 photos
The first location of Knidos was in an island along the Datca peninsula.The residents moved to its present site in about 365BC.The island now is connected to the mainland and forms 2 small harbours.The harbour on the right is in Aegean Sea and the harbour on the left is in Mediterranean sea because this specific place is where 2 seas kisses eachother.Its citizens grows whealthy from commerce.The peninsula was famous fo its wine.It was also a center of culture.Two theathers and one Odeum suggest that entertainment was important to these people.
The city had the best and bigger hospital and medical school of his time.
Praxiteles(borned in Knidos) most famous statue the nude Aphrodite ( first nue statue of the history) was bought to the city after the people of Cos rejected the Nude one .( they accepted the dressed one) The statue is still hunted but 49 copies are still placed in various part of the world.The best copy is in Vatican museum.
A video about Aphrodite of Knidos
"...have no fear; for you have wrought a very beautiful work of art, such as nobody, in fact, has ever seen before among all things fashioned by men's hands: you have set up a statue of your own mistress in the sacred precinct....And do not begrudge me this honour. For it is Praxiteles that people praise when they have gazed at me..."
Alciphron, Letters of the Courtesans: Phrynê to Praxiteles
The Aphrodite of Cnidus (Knidos) by Praxiteles (c.350 BC) is the first monumental female nude in classical sculpture
I am proud to be a citizen of Knidos beside this Ctesias the persian Historian was a native of Knidos as was Sostratus the builder of Pharos at Alexandria.This lighthouse is considered one of the seven wonders of the world.Eudoxus one of great astronomers was also born in Knidos.He perhaps was the head of Plato s Academy when Aristostle join it in Plato s absence in 367BC .Eudoxus had his own school later in Cyzicus ( erdek)
He made a map of the stars and invented horizontal sun dial .
There were a number of temples in the city .Among them ones to Dionysus and Aphrodite.Games was celebrated in the honor of Apollo and Poseidon.The Agora the temple of Aphrodite,the Odeum,and 2 theathers can be visit now.
A video about Datça
Knidos was the landfall in Paul s journey from Jerusalem to Rome.He had been put on an egyptian ship in Myra ( Demre) which sailed up to Knidos.Because of the head winds it took many days to reach .They Probably did not anchor because of bad wheather conditions .They went on to a fair havens in Crete where Paul advised them to winter but a breeze springing up and they look for better harbor.They had run of food before Paul saw a vision in which he was promised safe journey for all on board.After 2 weeks they were shipwrecked but all were saved and they reach the island of Malta.
A video about Datça
weather in MuðlaNOW
- Pros:Paradise of the world
- Cons:You dont listen to me. I ve told you that its a paradise !!!
- In a nutshell:"If God wants that you live long time.He leaves you in Knidos".Strabon
The Aphrodite of Cnidus was one of the most famous works of the ancient Greek sculptor Praxiteles of Athens (4th century... more travel advice
In my country 50 % of the bays are called Cleopatra and this is only one of example of them. This bay is situated very... more travel advice
traveloturc's Related Pages
Datca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where is paradise ?"
- "Datca and Knidos - corners of heaven"
- "A short visit to Datca"
- "DATCA:A peninsula between Aegean and Mediterranean"
- "Datca.....Day Trips"
- "PRETTY DATCA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Datca
- Hotels in Datca
- Transportation in Datca
- Nightlife in Datca
- Restaurants in Datca
- Shopping in Datca
- Warnings and Dangers in Datca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Datca
- 21 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Datca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Datca
Photos in DatcaSee All Photos (81)
Videos in DatcaSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 271 reviews, 565 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 246 reviews, 361 photos, 12 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 24 reviews, 120 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 40 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 102 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 21 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Adiyaman Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues