"The city of Santa Claus" Kale by traveloturc
Kale Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 124 photos
Demre(or Kale ) lies in the south-western corner of the transcontinental oblong that is Turkey.It’s only 140 km to Antalya. In that part of the world, the Mediterranean is the colour of flawless emeralds and the craggy coastline is studded with charming Homeric villages.
Fifteen centuries ago, Demre was known as Myra, and the Bishop of Myra was an earnest chap of growing reputation called Nicholas. Nicholas rather excelled in his job, fighting paganism and winning the respect of his flock by providing from his own pocket marriage dowries for poor young girls. He once famously restored to life three children who had been chopped up by the local publican and left to sit in a tub of brine.
He was so good, in fact, that after his death he was beatified and went from being plain old dead ex-Bishop Nicholas to Saint Nicholas. The Saint Nicholas, a.k.a. Santa Claus.
I am sorry to disturb you with some realities about Santa Claus but I think that you have the rights to know the realities.. Santa Claus doesn't live in the North Pole. Despite what your parents told you, he doesn't wake up in the morning and slip a heavy red coat over his ample.Where Santa lives, virgin-white snowflakes do not fall from the sky.Where Santa lives,you start to sweat before breakfast. Saint Nicholas was born in Patara ( very near to demre,what you see in the picture is not snow!!!), was elected bishop during Diocletian's persecutions, and died in Myra (Demre) around the year 350. This stories of his charitable acts took on legendary dimensions during the following centuries.
Santa doesn't, nor has he ever lived in the North Pole. Santa, you see, lives in Demre. As hard as it might be, we must face the truth about Christmas: Santa is a Demre boy and everything we know about December 25 must be urgently revised. The last time a flake fell in those parts, was probably in the time of woolly mammoths
As long as demre is an orange county than you can imagine the rest.Obviously The Demre Santa wouldn't drive a sleigh either.
The Demre Santa wouldn't wear a red fur-lined suit. The notion of a red-and-white Father Christmas was actually devised by Coca-Cola's New York agency for a series of advertisements in 1931. In other words, the cherished Santa of our childhoods is nothing more than an obese logo.
- Pros:logistically better place than arctic pole!!!
- Cons:unfortunately no snow at all !!!
- In a nutshell:Be sure that he choose the right place to live
You know that Turks dont celebrate the christmas but only the new year.This reality doesnt prevent to celebrate the... more travel advice
traveloturc's Related Pages
Kale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Demre, Myra, Kale, Kekova and the Sunken city"
- "Myra, Kale - Simena - Sunken city of Kekova"
- "The city of Santa Claus"
- "A day at sea visiting kekova island"
- "Turkey - Demre - Kale"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kale
- Transportation in Kale
- Restaurants in Kale
- Shopping in Kale
- Warnings and Dangers in Kale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kale
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Kale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kale
Photos in KaleSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 279 reviews, 573 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 246 reviews, 361 photos, 12 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 24 reviews, 120 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 40 reviews, 100 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 102 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 21 reviews, 83 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Adiyaman Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues