"The City of Mevlana" Top 5 Page for this destination Konya by traveloturc
Konya Travel Guide: 179 reviews and 601 photos
The garden of
is green without
and yields many
other than sorrow
Love is beyond either
it is always fresh.
Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi
2007 was the 800 anniversary of the birthday of Mevlana.UNESCO declared 2007 year as MEVLANA year.
According to him, the only way to approach absolute being is through love; and God's love is everywhere, permeating everything. If one were to love another being in the name of God, one would find a pathway leading to the absolute. According to him everything in the universe, every being, even matter itself - all are but manifestations of God and exist in God and are united in the Absolute Being. Thus Mevlana views all existence as a united whole. In a sense, one could call his vision that of Unity Consciousness. This vision impelled Mevlana to transcend all differences and prejudices, and formed the basis of his immense tolerance and of his real and deep humanism.Please watch this video ..to understand him better...
Konya is a city in Central Anatolia in Turkey. Legend says that Perseus killed a dragon that had been ravaging the town. The people set up a special monument to honor him, a stone obelisk .This event gave the city it's name, Ikonyon, Ikonyum, Iconium. However, among Muslims, another legend is told.
Konya region is one of the most ancient settlements of Anatolia. The results of excavations in Catalhöyük, Karahöyük, Cukurkent and Kucukoy show the region was inhabited as the Neolithic Period (Late Stone Age) of BC 7000. Other settlers of the city before Islam were; the Calcolitic Period (Copper Age) civilizations, Bronze Age civilizations, Hittites, Frigians, Lidians, Persians, Romans and finally Byzantines.
Konya is important for Christians as well because St. Paul and St. Barnabas came to the city around 50 AD. The first exposure of the city to Islam happened during the time of the Caliph Muaviya. Later, Emevi's or Abbasi's. Konya's real meeting with and adopting of Islam began after the victory of Seljuks at Malazgirt in 1071, in the time of Kutalmisoglu Suleyman. The attacks of the Crusaders from 1076 to the end of the 12th century could not wrench the city from Islam.
Konya was the capital of Seljuks between 1071 and 1308. In 1220 Alaaddin Keykubad I repaired the city wall and decorated them with towers. In the time of Fatih Sultan Mehmet, in 1466, Konya joined the lands of the Ottoman Empire. In The First World War The Italian powers which occupied the city in April 1919, left the city in March 1920 during the Independence War led by Atatürk.
A video about Konya
- In a nutshell:City of tolerance
Beyşehir, Eşrefoğlu Mosque Date of submission to the Tentative World Heritage List: 15/04/2011 List... more travel advice
Exhibits include traditional Konya suits, handmade items of clothing, belts, knitted purses, weapons and coin... more travel advice
traveloturc's Related Pages
Konya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Konya - city of Mevlana and Hadja Nasreddin"
- "The City of Mevlana"
- "CAPITAL OF ANATOLIAN SELJUKS"
- "Anything other than love is devoured by love(Rumi)"
- "a holy town,dervishes capital city"
- "Konya an agriculture and history Capitol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Konya
- Hotels in Konya
- Transportation in Konya
- Nightlife in Konya
- Restaurants in Konya
- Shopping in Konya
- Warnings and Dangers in Konya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Konya
- 40 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Konya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Konya
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 271 reviews, 565 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 246 reviews, 361 photos, 12 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 24 reviews, 120 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 40 reviews, 96 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 102 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 21 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Adiyaman Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues