"Safranbolu" Top 5 Page for this destination Safranbolu by traveloturc
Safranbolu Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 322 photos
Located near the north western coast of Anatolia ,history of Safranbolu, dates back as far as 3000 BC. Once a city of Roman Province of "Paphlagonia" Safranbolu, has hosted many civilizations including the Roman, Byzantine Seljuk and Ottoman Empires throughout its history. During the Ottoman period the town served as an important junction on the Kastamonu-Gerede-Istanbul route of the famous silk road. Safranbolu was at the same time a popular residence for Ottoman Royalty close to the Sultan and Grand Vezirs (ministers) . The city received its name from the saffron which is native in Safranbolu. The powder obtained from its flower is a very strong dye. Used in very small quantities and expensive naturally
A serious fim about Safranbolu ...unfortunately in turkish but worth to watch it ....
A film about Safranbolu
Saffron adds a delicate flavor, distinct aroma and a very unique yellow color to deserts and other food.
Saffron's aroma is often described by connoisseurs as reminiscent of metallic honey with grassy or hay-like notes, while its taste has also been noted as hay-like and somewhat bitter. Saffron also contributes a luminous yellow-orange colouring to foods. Saffron is widely used in Iranian (Persian), Arab, Central Asian, European, Indian,Turkish and Cornish cuisines. Confectionaries and liquors also often include saffron.
Also unique in Safranbolu is the famous Cavus grapes with its extremely thin skin and sweet flavor.The name of the town derives from saffron, since Safranbolu was a trading place and a center for growing saffron.Today saffron is still alive at the village of Davutbasi which is 22 km.east of Safranbolu and probably one of the best quality saffron in the world.
Ottoman culture is alive in Safranbolu, a real museum of a town filled with graceful and beautiful Ottoman houses and artisans working at traditional Turkish crafts.
Safranbolu is maybe the best preserved town in Anatolia. A rare blessing for those who would like to picture how an Ottoman town looked 200 years ago, Safranbolu, with its little-changed cobbled pavements and authentic marketplace is a virtual open-air museum. A turkish Firenze )))
Safranbolu displays its extremely rich historical and cultural heritage through 1008 architectural structures all preserved in their original environment. These structures include the public buildings such as Cinci Hoca Kervansaray and Cinci Hoca Hamam, Mosques of Koprulu Mehmet and Izzet Mehmet Pasha, The Tanneries Clock tower, Old hospital premises, The chamber of shoe makers, The Incekaya aqueduct, The old city hall and fountains as well as hundreds of private residences. Rock tombs and tumulus just outside the city are also of interest.
A video about Safranbolu
- In a nutshell:The Firenze of Turkiye
A dough is rolled out and cut into squares and strained yogurt and mint is put in the dough and folded in a triangle and... more travel advice
This delicacy is produced daily in many kinds such as with coconut, hazelnut, double roasted, saffron, rose and mastic.... more travel advice
- See All Family Structure and Daily Life
- Mencilis Cave
- See All lokoum( turkish delight) with saffron
- See All Train experience
traveloturc's Related Pages
Safranbolu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ottoman hosts or ghosts?"
- "exceptional entirety of old ottoman houses"
- "Safranbolu - Well-Preserved Ottoman Town"
- "The Enchanting Town of Safranbolu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Safranbolu
- Hotels in Safranbolu
- Transportation in Safranbolu
- Nightlife in Safranbolu
- Restaurants in Safranbolu
- Shopping in Safranbolu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Safranbolu
- 29 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Safranbolu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Safranbolu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 279 reviews, 573 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 246 reviews, 361 photos, 12 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 24 reviews, 120 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 40 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 102 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 21 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Adiyaman Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues