"BRAND NEW PROVINCE" Yalova by traveloturc
Yalova Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 43 photos
Yalova is a city located in northwestern Turkey, on the eastern coast of the Sea of Marmara, and is the capital of the Yalova Province. Yalova has a city population of 92,166, while the population of the Yalova Province is 202,531. as of 2009.
It becomes a province in 1995 before that date it was a summer resort of Istanbul.
You can reach to this city in one hour with the ferryboats from Yenikapi.
In general, it is assumed that the name "Yalova" comes from "Yalıova", which means "plain at the coast." The word "yalı" originates from the Greek yiáli γιαλή (mod. γιαλός), which literally means seashore or beach; while "ova" means plain in Turkish.The area is in the earthquake region.
The first settlement in the region dates back to the Prehistoric Period, in around 3000 BC. The Hittites ruled the region in the 21st century BC, followed by the Phrygians in the 13th century BC. The region was conquered by the Romans in 74 BC. Following the division of the Roman Empire in 395, the region of Yalova remained under the sovereignty of the Byzantine Empire. In 1302, Yalova was incorporated into the territory of the Ottoman Empire.
The founder Of Modern Turkiye Mustafa Kemal Atatürk occasionally lived in Yalova in his final years. In one of his speeches he famously said: "Yalova is my city.."
- Pros:Just Beautiful
- Cons:Too risky to live
Erikli is thebest water in my country and if you are intereted with trekking do not forget to visit this beautiful... more travel advice
Yalova port is very active because Boats from KARTAL Ferry boats from PENDIK Ferry boats from YENIKAPI visit... more travel advice
traveloturc's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Yalova
- 10 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Yalova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yalova
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 279 reviews, 573 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 246 reviews, 361 photos, 12 travelogues
- Jerusalem Intro, 24 reviews, 120 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Konya Intro, 40 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 13 reviews, 102 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Datca Intro, 21 reviews, 81 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trabzon Intro, 21 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Adiyaman Intro, 25 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 14 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ayvalik Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues