"Going back to my Kerry Roots" Top 5 Page for this destination County Kerry by Ekaterinburg

County Kerry Travel Guide: 1,011 reviews and 2,392 photos

Why I love Kerry

I was born in Waterville, County Kerry and lived there for the first three years of my life. All my Kerry trips are to the Dingle Peninsula though and I've only been back to Waterville once. My mother was brought up near the village of Cloghane, on the northern coast of the Dingle Peninsula, and until we left school every holiday was spent there, running wild in the mountains, rivers and bogs. This place has shaped a certain part of my psyche and I have a very deep attachment to it.

In this page I want to introduce the townlands of Glen and Mullach, both leading on from Cloghane, deep into the Owenmore Valley and a few peaks over from Mount Brandon. Very few people get to this part of the county and it is completely unchanged since my mother grew up there. I can promise you photos and information on the wildest, most elemental and beautifully unspoilt part of Kerrry. You will find these tips in the Off the Beaten Path section.

Also featured ( in the General Tips section ) is the coastal drive around the Dingle Peninsula. This is my second favourite part of Kerry . Enjoy !

• Last visit to County Kerry: Apr 2008
  • Intro Updated May 18, 2008

• craic's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 8:19 AM

oh it is so beautiful - and your photos are stunning

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM

Moving tips on these wild and beautiful places you knew from your childhood.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2008 at 11:43 AM

What a great page based on your childhood memories and beautiful landscape. If I ever get here then I will pack a chocolate bar just in case ;)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2008 at 2:47 AM

What a beautiful page on what must be one of the most beautiful regions in the world. Your photographs are superb and the tips - a pleasure to read. Have you ever thought of writing a book about your Kerry childhood?

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2008 at 11:54 AM

Yes indeed, your photos do tell the story on this tremendously beautiful part of Ireland, but your vivid descriptions made it all the more enjoyable! Thanks for jogging fond memories of my all too short a visit. Lucky you to have experienced it as a tot!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2008 at 2:36 PM

Wonderful photographs bringing back great memories of the unique irish landscapes ! See you on Thursday !

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2008 at 10:04 AM

xclent tips. this would be an ideal destination for us - off the beaten path, but not adventure travel, road trip with so many diff attractions, even restaurant with fish would be gr8 - perfect - this is our typical adventure.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2008 at 4:04 AM

Growing up there or even just visiting as a child must have been great. Wonderful pictures!

Ekaterinburg Was Born Here!

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in County Kerry

Have you been to County Kerry?