"Steam Trains and Broomsticks" Harz by Ekaterinburg

Harz Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 26 photos

In the Harz mountains witches and broomsticks dangle from doors and windows on almost every house you pass. Legend has it that on Walpurgis night they flew to the top of the Brocken on their broomsticks.This is a delightfully spooky part of Germany where dark forests cluster around storybook towns and you find yourself briefly rekindling some of the magic of childhood. The nostalgia trip really kicks off when you wait at a small station in a clearing and an antiquated purple and yellow steam train chugs round the corner hissing and spitting clouds of vitriolic steam. There are many other aspects to a holiday in the Harz but for me this one was very special.

Great Towns to Visit

Mountains and forests are great placesfor holidays but sooner or later you usually get the urge to do some shopping or explore a new city. With a base in the Harz mountains there is a huge range of villages, towns and cities to visit. Goslar, Quedlinburg and Wernigerode are three architecturally amazing cities all within easy driving distaance.

• Last visit to Harz: Aug 2000
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2012 at 1:18 PM

We recently returned from Germany trip around Munich and now this one may be one a future list of "to see" Nice description of the area.

• ricky52's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2009 at 3:21 PM

With all of these broomsticks hanging around, I'm sure my Mother in Law has been here. Great page and will include this area of Germany on our future trip there.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I love being where there are mountains, though can't climb for fear of heights, but this looks lik e a great place to relax.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2007 at 7:31 PM

I've considered throwing a milk crate at my children but hoisting them, there's something I've learnt! Nice pages, thanks for sharing.

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2007 at 8:09 AM

Hi there Katherine, Wow this looks like a nice place. I like the idea Spa town and resort it sounds wonderful... Donna :)

• Knoto's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Wow, lovely overview! Hope to see you here again one time... Greetings Peter

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Quedlinburg is beautiful Sonja. Iwould love to go back again and see it again, preferably with a camera, this time ))

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 12:47 AM

I have never been to this part of Germany yet but I have heard of Quedlinburg. Thanks for the overview of the area!

• Jan 26, 2007 at 8:36 AM

I nearly visited the Harz last year but had to miss it.. hopefully I will get there soon! Lovely page Katherine! :))

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 8:22 AM

Another place in Germany that I would like to Visit, sounds really nice.

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in Harz