"Steam Trains and Broomsticks" Harz by Ekaterinburg
Harz Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 26 photos
In the Harz mountains witches and broomsticks dangle from doors and windows on almost every house you pass. Legend has it that on Walpurgis night they flew to the top of the Brocken on their broomsticks.This is a delightfully spooky part of Germany where dark forests cluster around storybook towns and you find yourself briefly rekindling some of the magic of childhood. The nostalgia trip really kicks off when you wait at a small station in a clearing and an antiquated purple and yellow steam train chugs round the corner hissing and spitting clouds of vitriolic steam. There are many other aspects to a holiday in the Harz but for me this one was very special.
Mountains and forests are great placesfor holidays but sooner or later you usually get the urge to do some shopping or explore a new city. With a base in the Harz mountains there is a huge range of villages, towns and cities to visit. Goslar, Quedlinburg and Wernigerode are three architecturally amazing cities all within easy driving distaance.
Travelling east from Bad Lauterburg, Wernigerode is another city well worth a visit. The Harzquerbahn sets out from... more travel advice
Tower blocks are the last thing you expect to find in a pretty little town like Bad Lauterberg. But about five minutes... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Harz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Steam Trains and Broomsticks"
- "'Brocken' - highest mountain of the Harz region"
- "Harz mountains"
- "Harz National Park - Winter times"
- "My Harz"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harz
- 12 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Harz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harz
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos