"Less=More=Gimmelwald" Top 5 Page for this destination Gimmelwald by Ekaterinburg
Gimmelwald Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 109 photos
It's not true that everybody who goes to Gimmelwald does so because Rick Steves tells them. I had never heard of Rick Steves until I told people I was coming here and had decided on it after reading a lot of guide books. I was looking for a perfect Alpine village, with flowerfilled meadows and cows wearing bells, preferably one with as few visitors as possible.
Gimmelwald, not too far from Interlaken on the route to Schiltorn, ticked all these boxes.From the casual way it was mentioned as being somewhere you pass, on the way to somewhere else, it seemed like it might be just what I wanted. The fact that there was apparently 'nothing' there was the biggest attraction of all, because in this case, as I had hoped, nothing in fact equalled everything.
There are no pubs, or shops in Gimmelwald. You can't buy a coke or an icecream there or a postcard or even a souvenir cow wearing a bell. To get there you must take a cable car.In other words it's perfect and if you want an idyllic slice of Switzerland served up on a mountainous platter, then look no further. Gimmelwald will knock your socks off!
Already exhausted, at the very end of my afternoon in Gimmelwald,I foolishly climbed down a very steep track in front of the Mountain Hostel. Even more foolishly, I managed to leave my prescription sunglasses in the meadow I took photos in. When I missed the glasses I had climbed back up and could not have gone down again to save my life. Enter Jenny from Colorado, who for absolutely no reason and for a total stranger to boot, climbed all the way down to the bottom of the trail then back up again to return my glasses to me. Jenny and her husband Gust were just some of the great people I met on this trip but I will never, ever forget Jenny's kindness and generosity of spirit.
No ? How very remiss of me. This photo ( and the others inside ) tells you all you need to know. Switzerland has some of the world's most breathtaking landscapes and achingly beautiful valleys and villages. It took me a long time to get here and a pretty long detour en route from Germany to Ireland but it was worth every second of the journey.
- In a nutshell:Go now before you have to share it with the world
Getting to Gimmelwald from Interlaken requires many steps and hops. This is the journey as I did it : 1.Train from... more travel advice
Despite the snow capped peaks and icy rivers and waterfalls, my most abiding impression of Switzerland was one of... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Gimmelwald Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Day in the Alps"
- "My Favorite Swiss Village"
- "Gimmelwald to Schilthorn"
- "GIMMELWALD-sheer beauty all around"
- "A Passage to Gimmelwald"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gimmelwald
- Hotels in Gimmelwald
- Transportation in Gimmelwald
- Restaurants in Gimmelwald
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gimmelwald
- 11 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Gimmelwald?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gimmelwald
Photos in GimmelwaldSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos