"Less=More=Gimmelwald" Top 5 Page for this destination Gimmelwald by Ekaterinburg

Gimmelwald Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 109 photos

Dispelling the Rick Steves Myth

It's not true that everybody who goes to Gimmelwald does so because Rick Steves tells them. I had never heard of Rick Steves until I told people I was coming here and had decided on it after reading a lot of guide books. I was looking for a perfect Alpine village, with flowerfilled meadows and cows wearing bells, preferably one with as few visitors as possible.

Gimmelwald, not too far from Interlaken on the route to Schiltorn, ticked all these boxes.From the casual way it was mentioned as being somewhere you pass, on the way to somewhere else, it seemed like it might be just what I wanted. The fact that there was apparently 'nothing' there was the biggest attraction of all, because in this case, as I had hoped, nothing in fact equalled everything.

There are no pubs, or shops in Gimmelwald. You can't buy a coke or an icecream there or a postcard or even a souvenir cow wearing a bell. To get there you must take a cable car.In other words it's perfect and if you want an idyllic slice of Switzerland served up on a mountainous platter, then look no further. Gimmelwald will knock your socks off!

Gimmelwald's Angel of Mercy - Jenny from Colorado

Already exhausted, at the very end of my afternoon in Gimmelwald,I foolishly climbed down a very steep track in front of the Mountain Hostel. Even more foolishly, I managed to leave my prescription sunglasses in the meadow I took photos in. When I missed the glasses I had climbed back up and could not have gone down again to save my life. Enter Jenny from Colorado, who for absolutely no reason and for a total stranger to boot, climbed all the way down to the bottom of the trail then back up again to return my glasses to me. Jenny and her husband Gust were just some of the great people I met on this trip but I will never, ever forget Jenny's kindness and generosity of spirit.

Did I Mention that Gimmelwald is Beautiful ?

No ? How very remiss of me. This photo ( and the others inside ) tells you all you need to know. Switzerland has some of the world's most breathtaking landscapes and achingly beautiful valleys and villages. It took me a long time to get here and a pretty long detour en route from Germany to Ireland but it was worth every second of the journey.

• In a nutshell:Go now before you have to share it with the world
  • Last visit to Gimmelwald: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 19, 2008

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM

A TERRIFIC page you've got here...great tips..Ill be in the area in July and this looks like a great place to spend a day or two..Thanks!@

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 5:29 AM

I see the countryside is majestic! Your story conveys your feelings very well and I can imagine how it feels there... Thanks a lot! ><><><

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2009 at 4:23 AM

Spectacular scenery and delightful reading, Katherine. What a pity the mountains were cloud covered. Rick who?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Glad you found the perfect meadow for your Heidi moment! (Who is Rick Steves, by the way?)

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Green valleys and cow bells - looks like a perfect destination when the summer heat heats the Mediterranean. I might hop on that train one of the following summers....

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 6:04 AM

Katherine, outstanding little page with interesting commentaries of your personal impressions of this Swiss gem. I now would like to know what Rick Steves says about this place in his book.

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 5:51 AM

You chose well, this is my most favorite area.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 4:45 AM

Great page on your Swiss trip! You know, I only ever heard of Gimmelwald on VT, haha! Glad you loved it!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 3:36 PM

hmm, Gimmelwald, my favorite hamlet in Heidi-land, and it looks really great on your page ! Just a pity that you could do only some "Hiking for Softies" ;-)

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 12:41 PM

We have lots of beautiful meadows here too. I laughted a bit reading "psychedelic glory". I like that adjective. Ciao!

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in Gimmelwald

Have you been to Gimmelwald?

Latest Activity in Gimmelwald