"Much More than Just A Side-Trip From Vienna" Bratislava by Ekaterinburg
Bratislava Travel Guide: 2,032 reviews and 4,537 photos
I normally try to avoid using over-familiar images for introductions but somehow this image of Bratislava's infamous Novy Most just wouldn't go away.
Arriving by road, your eye automatically travels to the skyline where the castle perches in all its 'upside-down-table' glory. Then suddenly, POW !, this bridge looms up in front of you. A definite attention-grabber and pretty dramatic introduction to a city which is generally regarded as low-key.
Like many other people I visited Bratislava as a side-trip from Vienna and knew very little about it before I arrived. I wasn't sure what to expect but within an hour of arriving, was very glad I'd come. The old town is predictably charming and picturesque but the new town with its remnants of communist architecture and monuments to recent Slovak history, is far more interesting.
The combination of both, together with panoramic views along the river make this a great place for walking and exploring. After an initial guided tour, I retraced the whole route on foot but this time, with many detours. What I found, I've written about on this page. What I missed I will get to next time.
In Bratislava you can shop in many places. Markets, indoor and outdoor, speciality shops and department stores. The big... more travel advice
Michael's gate is the focal point of the street which bears the same name. It stands out very clearly though, its 59... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Bratislava Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Vitajte v Bratislave !"
- "Bratislava - My Hometown"
- "Bratislava - Gateway to the Little Carpathians"
- "Bratislava - Proud to play second fiddle"
- "Bratislava - The smallest big city"
- "Bratislava - The Beauty on the Danube"
- "Bratislava - cozy and small capital of Slovakia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bratislava
- Hotels in Bratislava
- Transportation in Bratislava
- Nightlife in Bratislava
- Restaurants in Bratislava
- Shopping in Bratislava
- Warnings and Dangers in Bratislava
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bratislava
- 27 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Bratislava?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bratislava
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: vikings gone soft?"
- Commented on one of Andrew_W_K's Bratislava travel pages
- updated a Bratislava Travel Page "Much More than Just A Side-Trip From Vienna"
- Wrote a Review Big Shop That is Bratislava in Bratislava Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Big Shop That is Bratislava"
Photos in BratislavaSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos