"Much More than Just A Side-Trip From Vienna" Bratislava by Ekaterinburg

Bratislava Travel Guide: 2,032 reviews and 4,537 photos

A Bridge Too Far

I normally try to avoid using over-familiar images for introductions but somehow this image of Bratislava's infamous Novy Most just wouldn't go away.

Arriving by road, your eye automatically travels to the skyline where the castle perches in all its 'upside-down-table' glory. Then suddenly, POW !, this bridge looms up in front of you. A definite attention-grabber and pretty dramatic introduction to a city which is generally regarded as low-key.

Like many other people I visited Bratislava as a side-trip from Vienna and knew very little about it before I arrived. I wasn't sure what to expect but within an hour of arriving, was very glad I'd come. The old town is predictably charming and picturesque but the new town with its remnants of communist architecture and monuments to recent Slovak history, is far more interesting.
The combination of both, together with panoramic views along the river make this a great place for walking and exploring. After an initial guided tour, I retraced the whole route on foot but this time, with many detours. What I found, I've written about on this page. What I missed I will get to next time.

• Last visit to Bratislava: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jan 21, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Great tips

• katamorgana's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Hi Katherine, very well done Bratislava pages :-)

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2008 at 12:09 PM

The Old town and its churches are interesting but it is your descriptions of post-WWII architecture of Bratislava that makes this page a true gem. I enjoyed reading your observations.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2008 at 1:04 PM

Hi Jonathon/SWLC's /bratislava pages got me inspired to c Bratislava - and yrs have me wanting to go even more...xmas time sounds ideal!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2008 at 11:49 PM

I like the Cumil fellow! Am still debating whether I should stop here for half a day or so or go straight to Vienna from Budapest as time is short. Anyway, thanks for your introduction :))

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Very well done. I like Bratislava and I thought that it did have a certain charm. Unfortunately the restoration was largely in progress during my visit.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2008 at 12:35 PM

Happy Birthday !!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2007 at 2:37 PM

Great that you got to see "Sleeping Beauty" at the Slovak National Theatre. And your outdoor meal at the market stalls sounds delicious, though messy.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Great page... no wonder you are the #1 rookie.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 2:55 AM

Nice page, indeed! I like the story about the mystery church! I do hope you will eventually find out the name!

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in Bratislava

Have you been to Bratislava?

Latest Activity in Bratislava