"Sopron - A little taste of Hungary" Top 5 Page for this destination Sopron by Ekaterinburg

Sopron Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 307 photos

Why Sopron ?

Some time ago I read an article about Sopron's Old Town which lodged itself in my imagination and refused to go away. Sometime afterwards I checked it out in the Rough Guide to Hungary and was gobsmacked by the accolades heaped on it by the usually, less then effusive, RG. On a previous trip to Vienna and Bratislava in 2006, I'd been unable to get there, so earlier this week, once more in Vienna, an opportunity presented itself. I hopped on a train at Vienna's Sudbahnhof and 90 minutes later I'd crossed the Hungarian border and finally made it to Sopron.

Good Decision ?? Definitely!

I did think the Rough Guide had slightly overstated the case in terms of Sopron's spectacular architecture but the Old Town is really picturesque, full of interesting buildings and historical associations. What I particularly liked is that it has not (as yet) been overprettified and apart from the very centre there are few obvious concessions to tourism. Maybe this had something to do with the fact that I arrived at the crack of dawn on Monday but the streets in the Old Town were amazingly quiet and peaceful. The route from the station and around the rest of town were full of life but the old heart of Sopron was 'quiet as a nun'.

' Doing ' Sopron

On this small page I am posting some transport tips, things to see and do in the Old Town and one or two general tips such as the town's connection with Franz Liszt / Liszt Ferenc. The Fire Tower is of such importance, historically, architecturally and every other way possible in Sopron that I will deal with it seperately under the 'local customs' section. Whether you've already been to Sopron or never even heard of it, I hope you will accompany me on a virtual amble through this lovely town. One of the joys of VT is highlighting good destinations which aren't so well known outside of their own country and it is my very great pleasure to present this small glimpse of Sopron.

Sopron's Tourist office is on the corner of Templom utca and Szechnyi ter in the huge yellow conference and culture centre. You will find it just five minutes away from the station by following Matyas Kiraly as far as the large white church which marks its corner with Szechnyi ter. Just turn left here and the Central Post Office and the Cultural and Conference Centre are directly opposite.

www.sopron.hu

• Pros:A beautiful, historic old town only 60 KM from Vienna
  • Cons:It's not widely publicised outisde of Hungary
  • In a nutshell:A little peek at Hungary which leaves you wanting more
  • Last visit to Sopron: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 10, 2007

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Hi Katherine
    Fabulous little page about a place that I had no idea existed!
    This sounds like exactly my sort of town - thanks so much for sharing!
    Regards
    Cathy

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM

What alovely page with very helpful transport tips. May try to do aday trip here from Vienna in the summer. Cheers, Irene

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2010 at 1:27 PM

WE hope to explore more of this country and its rural areas one day. Thanks for the tour with helpful comments and pictures.

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I used these tips before I went and they were very useful. I seem to remember you giving me some advice on the forums as well.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2009 at 6:05 PM

Fabulous tips and a fabulous page. I'm off to Sopron! Thanks Katherine. Kate

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 3:39 PM

What excellent tips.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2008 at 2:50 AM

I love exploring a town on foot and discovering places which are not very popular with tourists. I enjoyed this virtual trip of Sopron very much. Greetings from Wroclaw

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Great tips and photos of the cosy town of Sopron! Also, very nice photos of the flowers at your main VT homepage :)

• Apr 2, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Great page, lovely photos of a lovely place. 5 stars ;)

• sussexman's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 1:35 AM

Hi Katherine ! very much enjoyed looking at your Sopron photos and comments, which are most interesting. we are due to visit udapest in March, so will try to make a day visit there. regards Robert in Crawley

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in Sopron