"Sopron - A little taste of Hungary" Top 5 Page for this destination Sopron by Ekaterinburg
Sopron Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 355 photos
Some time ago I read an article about Sopron's Old Town which lodged itself in my imagination and refused to go away. Sometime afterwards I checked it out in the Rough Guide to Hungary and was gobsmacked by the accolades heaped on it by the usually, less then effusive, RG. On a previous trip to Vienna and Bratislava in 2006, I'd been unable to get there, so earlier this week, once more in Vienna, an opportunity presented itself. I hopped on a train at Vienna's Sudbahnhof and 90 minutes later I'd crossed the Hungarian border and finally made it to Sopron.
I did think the Rough Guide had slightly overstated the case in terms of Sopron's spectacular architecture but the Old Town is really picturesque, full of interesting buildings and historical associations. What I particularly liked is that it has not (as yet) been overprettified and apart from the very centre there are few obvious concessions to tourism. Maybe this had something to do with the fact that I arrived at the crack of dawn on Monday but the streets in the Old Town were amazingly quiet and peaceful. The route from the station and around the rest of town were full of life but the old heart of Sopron was 'quiet as a nun'.
On this small page I am posting some transport tips, things to see and do in the Old Town and one or two general tips such as the town's connection with Franz Liszt / Liszt Ferenc. The Fire Tower is of such importance, historically, architecturally and every other way possible in Sopron that I will deal with it seperately under the 'local customs' section. Whether you've already been to Sopron or never even heard of it, I hope you will accompany me on a virtual amble through this lovely town. One of the joys of VT is highlighting good destinations which aren't so well known outside of their own country and it is my very great pleasure to present this small glimpse of Sopron.
Sopron's Tourist office is on the corner of Templom utca and Szechnyi ter in the huge yellow conference and culture centre. You will find it just five minutes away from the station by following Matyas Kiraly as far as the large white church which marks its corner with Szechnyi ter. Just turn left here and the Central Post Office and the Cultural and Conference Centre are directly opposite.
- Pros:A beautiful, historic old town only 60 KM from Vienna
- Cons:It's not widely publicised outisde of Hungary
- In a nutshell:A little peek at Hungary which leaves you wanting more
Obviously, Sopron exists outside the Old Town and I found my walk round its other areas extremely interesting as well. I... more travel advice
Every town must have its connections with a famous son or daughter and in Sopron's case the chosen son is the composer... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Sopron Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sopron - A little taste of Hungary"
- "Sopron, Hungary"
- "Day Trip to Sunny Sopron"
- "S O P R O N"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sopron
- Hotels in Sopron
- Transportation in Sopron
- Restaurants in Sopron
- Shopping in Sopron
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sopron
- 14 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Sopron?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sopron
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos