"Pula Has a Lot to Offer" Top 5 Page for this destination Pula by Ekaterinburg
Pula Travel Guide: 530 reviews and 1,230 photos
It took a while for Pula to grow on me. The first day we visited, it took so long to walk into town from the bus station and the route was so uninspiring that I was convinced I'd taken a wrong turn. Just as we were about to turn back a large amphitheatre finally sprung up out of nowhere and we knew we were on course.Things improved considerably after that. Pula's ancient monuments are a pleasure to visit. No fuss, no queues - they just blend into the landscape and mix nicely with the other streets and buildings around them.
There are lots of photos of these monuments inside the page but I'd like to give pride of place to another side of Pula on my intro Pic. It's a detail from a building that looks like an old warehouse, a few blocks away from the bus station. Parts of it have smashed windows and are almost derelict but it's big and is bound to used for something.I'm wondering it it's an art colletive or cultural centre. The whole building has men in different poses painted on the walls, all dressed in long dark overcoats like this one. It's very eye-catching and I'd love to know the story behind it.
After we'd visited the amphitheatre, it still took a while to find the pedstrianised centre of town and we made a detour or two through a local park. Some teenage boys were sitting here on a monument that I think was against facism. I got the impression they should have been in school but they were obviously testing the concept of freedom. This was a nice park running right down to the sea. Around the port, large cranes dominate the skyline. I did see a yacht marina as well but a lot of the waterfont in Pula seems to favour more practical uses than yachts.
Eventually we followed our noses to the cafes and shops in Ulica Flanaticka and the food market at Narbodni Trg. After that we went back to Portorata and strolled up Ulica Sergijevaca as far as the forum. The temple and forum here are absolutely stunning and the square that surrounds them is graceful and elegant.
There's a lot to see in Pula and our two visits only skimmed the surface. The photos I took of the Temple of Augustus, all have cranes in the background and I think that is the aspect of Pula that appealed to me most. It's not all about Roman remains and historic monuments. I liked the lively busy city that it is now and how it combines past and present so smoothly.
- Pros:A lot of ancient monuments in a lively modern city
- Cons:Long walk to the bus station
- In a nutshell:Rome without the Trevi Fountain and the crowds
The cute little mini-bus in the photograph was the bus we caught from the bus station in Pula to the airport. The... more travel advice
Pula is very well connected by bus to the rest of the Istrian peninsula. From Rovinj there are buses almost every hour... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Pula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pula, second to Rome for its arena !"
- "PULA - the place where I was grown-up"
- "City is Older Than Dirt"
- "Pula my home town"
- "Pula Has a Lot to Offer"
- "A Nice Town..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pula
- Hotels in Pula
- Transportation in Pula
- Nightlife in Pula
- Restaurants in Pula
- Shopping in Pula
- Warnings and Dangers in Pula
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pula
- 13 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Pula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pula
Photos in PulaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos