"Pula Has a Lot to Offer" Top 5 Page for this destination Pula by Ekaterinburg

Pula Travel Guide: 530 reviews and 1,230 photos

How hard can it be to find the Amphitheatre ?

It took a while for Pula to grow on me. The first day we visited, it took so long to walk into town from the bus station and the route was so uninspiring that I was convinced I'd taken a wrong turn. Just as we were about to turn back a large amphitheatre finally sprung up out of nowhere and we knew we were on course.Things improved considerably after that. Pula's ancient monuments are a pleasure to visit. No fuss, no queues - they just blend into the landscape and mix nicely with the other streets and buildings around them.

There are lots of photos of these monuments inside the page but I'd like to give pride of place to another side of Pula on my intro Pic. It's a detail from a building that looks like an old warehouse, a few blocks away from the bus station. Parts of it have smashed windows and are almost derelict but it's big and is bound to used for something.I'm wondering it it's an art colletive or cultural centre. The whole building has men in different poses painted on the walls, all dressed in long dark overcoats like this one. It's very eye-catching and I'd love to know the story behind it.

Some small detours

After we'd visited the amphitheatre, it still took a while to find the pedstrianised centre of town and we made a detour or two through a local park. Some teenage boys were sitting here on a monument that I think was against facism. I got the impression they should have been in school but they were obviously testing the concept of freedom. This was a nice park running right down to the sea. Around the port, large cranes dominate the skyline. I did see a yacht marina as well but a lot of the waterfont in Pula seems to favour more practical uses than yachts.

Finding what we were looking for

Eventually we followed our noses to the cafes and shops in Ulica Flanaticka and the food market at Narbodni Trg. After that we went back to Portorata and strolled up Ulica Sergijevaca as far as the forum. The temple and forum here are absolutely stunning and the square that surrounds them is graceful and elegant.

There's a lot to see in Pula and our two visits only skimmed the surface. The photos I took of the Temple of Augustus, all have cranes in the background and I think that is the aspect of Pula that appealed to me most. It's not all about Roman remains and historic monuments. I liked the lively busy city that it is now and how it combines past and present so smoothly.

• Pros:A lot of ancient monuments in a lively modern city
  • Cons:Long walk to the bus station
  • In a nutshell:Rome without the Trevi Fountain and the crowds
  • Last visit to Pula: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 4, 2007

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Good page. I visited Pula long ago. Ciao!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Pula has much to offer a visitor, I think. Great tips and photos. I love the markets, and the statue of James Joyce was good to see. Excellent transport tips too, Katherine.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2009 at 1:29 PM

I'll be there in 1,5 months!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Our-my goal was to be here fall 2009-things change, so thanks for the great trip virtually. You present such great detail, it is like being there.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 4:59 AM

Another enjoyable stroll around a fascinating town, Katherine. Those Romans certainly created a presence with their arenas and temples! Your top notch photos show them off well.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 2:07 AM

Hi Katherine, Pula is a very historical town especially the impressive Arena! Hope to be able to visit one day!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2008 at 10:31 AM

What beautiful photos you managed with the blue sky and green shrubbery helping to show off Pula's many architectural gems! I would love to spend some time in quiet parts of the Balkans like this!!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2007 at 2:40 PM

an excellent page and great pics, Katherine ! It is good to see these remains of the roman times !

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 11:33 PM

Excellent page, Katherine - it brings back veery old memories of my childhood, when I was there to see the Roman remains. Oh, I would love to stroll along in these nice markets :-))

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Excellent page on this Croatian-Roman-Italian town. You certainly seem to have enjoyed it. If I want to visit an amphitheatre that's where I'll go if you say there is no hassle or crowds.

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in Pula