"Is the Rest of Croatia as Beautiful as Rovinj ?" Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj by Ekaterinburg
Rovinj Travel Guide: 324 reviews and 863 photos
This is the view of Rovinj that hit us as we walked out onto the balcony of our hotel. The peninsula that contains the old Town is straight across the bay. Red roofs, yellow walls, blue sea and a constant flow of boats, cosy up together in picturesque perfection and from now on my mission is to refrain from using purple prose. No easy job.
Before I arrived I'd read ( or at least looked at the photos on) every VT page on Rovinj. Quite a lot of purple prose was used in the descriptions and now I could see why. To state the obvious, Rovinj is very beautiful, probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever visited.
Once you've picked your jaw up from the floor and taken the first 100 or so photos, it's time to get to grips with exploring the town. The Old Town, stretching from the sea up to the Church of St Euphemia lends itself to endless wandering and exploration and is the obvious first target. But a major surprise for us in Rovinj was how much pleasure we got from strolling round the harbour. The lines between sea and town are seriously blurred here and all over the place they quite literally run into one another. The harbour is huge, stretching out all the way from the Old Town to the other side of the bay where our hotel was situated. The 20 minute walk into town was pure pleasure and at many points the water was so shallow that you could hop down off the wall and have a paddle if you felt the urge. At any time during that walk, if the fancy took you, you could veer away from the sea and discover yet another interesting back street. Exploring Rovinj was a round the clock project and it never failed to delight.
The Istrian Peninsula was once part of Italy and the Venetian influence, obvious right along the coast, is at its strongest in Rovinj. The town looks Italian, everybody speaks Italian and it's very easy to forget that you are actually in Croatia. But just one look out to sea changes this. The coastline is 100% Croatian and the archipelago of Islands offshore could be in Dalmatia or even further south. These islands are another major reason to spend a holiday in Rovinj. Getting there requires no pre-planning or organisation. It's as simple as strolling along the harbour and hopping aboard whichever boat is about to take off. On Sunday afternoon we spent four perfect hours cruising on the Adriatic for the minimal cost of EUR 15 each. Maybe things aren't as relaxed as this all year round but in mid-october with just enough visitors to create interest, it's incredibly laid back.
- Pros:Beautiful town, sea, island cruises, friendly people,sunshine
- Cons:A little quiet at night offseason. Not a big problem though.
- In a nutshell:A place I want to visit again - soon.
This is the Punta Corrente Forest Park which the Park Hotel backs right up against. It's a great combination of woodland... more travel advice
I'm not sure if you can circumnavigate a peninsula but what I'm describing here is a route that will bring you from the... more travel advice
- See All Finding your Sea Legs
- See All The Importance of St Euphemia in Rovinj
- See All Endorsed by The Lonely Planet but Not Me
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Rovinj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rovinj, a must visit !"
- "Is the Rest of Croatia as Beautiful as Rovinj ?"
- "Rovinj - Rovigno"
- "The Medieval Rovinj..."
- "Rovinj in the sun, some of the time"
- "Views of Rovinj"
- "An Island Oasis and Winding Streets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rovinj
- Hotels in Rovinj
- Transportation in Rovinj
- Nightlife in Rovinj
- Restaurants in Rovinj
- Shopping in Rovinj
- Warnings and Dangers in Rovinj
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rovinj
- 28 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Rovinj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rovinj
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Very First Friday Video Pub..."
- Commented on one of Ekaterinburg's Rovinj tips
- updated a Rovinj Travel Page "Is the Rest of Croatia as Beautiful as Rovinj ?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rovinj 3"
- Wrote a Review Loads of sporting activities here. in Rovinj Sports & Outdoors
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (106)
Latest Rovinj hotel reviews
- Valalta Naturist Camp
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Hotel Istra
- 325 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Hotel Eden
- 275 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Amarin Studio and Apartments
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- Villas Rubin
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 29, 2013
- Villa Marea
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2013
- Casa Garzotto
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Hotel Park
- 363 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Porton Biondi
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2013
- Villa Salzburg
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Katarina Hotel
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 12, 2013
- Hotel Adriatic
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Valdaliso Hotel
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 5, 2013