"A Town With Too Many Memories" Top 5 Page for this destination Cobh by Ekaterinburg
Cobh Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 234 photos
Cobh is a town with a very specific place in history. Since 1791 convicts have been deported to Australia from here and during the Great Famine it was the principal port used by emigrants to the new world. There are associations with World War 1 when the Lusitania was torpedoed off Ireland and survivors and victims brought ashore in this town. Cobh was the Titanic's last port of call on its maiden voyage and right up to the 1960's great tranatlantic liners visited regularly.
Not surprisingly then, Cobh lives and breathes its past. The past puts food on many Cobh tables. Respecting history is always to be applauded and a town like this has so much to remember, so many lives to honour, so many hopes and dreams eddying around on its currents and breezes. I love Cobh, but every so often the thought of all those lives lost, all those dreams snuffed out, becomes oppressive. Sometimes it seems, that there is just one memorial too many. I think the problem with Cobh is that it does what it does too well. This is not a criticism, just a warning to sensitive souls and an exremely personal reaction.
One of the nicest things about Cobh is that big ships still come and go all the time. There has been a resurgence in the cruise liner business and now when you're getting off the train it is not uncommon to have a monstrously huge liner on the other side of the station wall. Brittany Ferries sail through Cobh mid-morning every Saturday, en route from Roscoff and various cargo ships, navy vessels and customs boats make up the rest of the traffic.
Everywhere you look in Cobh you will find beautiful and arctitecturally interesting buildings from many different periods. This one, a previous Town Hall, displays the town clock.
- Pros:A beautiful and interesting town. Great for walks.
- Cons:Too much emphasis on past tragedies.
The final section of the Queenstown Story is definitely upbeat and a welcome change in tone from all the previous doom... more travel advice
Transportation is a euphemism for conviction and sentencing to imprisonment in the colonies, principally Australia. If... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Cobh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Town With Too Many Memories"
- "Cobh, Ireland"
- "3 million irish are wrong !"
- "Lusitania, Titanic, Convicts, Emigrants..."
- "Challenger's Cobh Pages"
- "Cobh - Immigrants, The Titantic, and great people"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cobh
- Hotels in Cobh
- Transportation in Cobh
- Nightlife in Cobh
- Restaurants in Cobh
- Shopping in Cobh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cobh
- 21 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Cobh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cobh
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos