Cork Local Custom Tips by Ekaterinburg Top 5 Page for this destination
Cork Local Customs: 29 reviews and 31 photos
WhazOn is free, published monthly and available all over the city in shops, restaurants, libraries etc.
It provides full entertainment listings for each months as well as as a directory of pubs, restaurants and shops This is how we check up on gigs etc., so you will find it very useful also.
In Cork eating out can be expensive. Look out for EARLY BIRD MENUS, which offer a more reasonably priced combo, than the full four courses. Early Birds have a time restriction and are generally not available later than 7.30pm.
In Ireland there is a longstanding rivalry between Cork and Dublin. Cork people are notoriously arrogant about their city describing it as THE REAL CAPITAL. So if you want to make yourself really popular in Cork, speak at length about how much nicer, friendlier, more advanced etc., etc., it is than Dublin. Then if you are hellbent on honorary citizenship, learn to sing DE BANKS while consuming several pints of Murphys.
THE CAPITAL SONG.
They do things differntly
quite differently up there
.........somewhere between the autumn and the summer
I lost my way for the first time in my homeland, trying to get back here,
you know it wouldn't happen here,
...............you can always take your time,
avoid the queuesand catch
THE LAST BUS HOME BACK
You know we''ll always be down here
time to come back home.
Written and performed by FRED, this song sums up beautifully the average Cork person's feelings about going to Dublin.
Cork has some very strange linguistic quirks. The Cork accent can be difficult to understand when people speak very rapidly so dont be shy about asking them to speak more slowly.
Boy or girl is attached to most sentences according to who you are speaking to as in 'all right boy' or 'hello girl'. The accent is really singsong with almost all sentences rising at the end even when there is no question being asked.
'Dowtcha Boy' is the name of a dictionary of Cork slang which is available from all bookshops. If you are staying in Cork for any lenght of time it's a good book to buy for laughs.
Phone: None -Learn as you go along.
More Reviews (41)
- See All A good self-catering option
- See All Getting to and from the airport.
- See All Blackrock Village
- See All Cork's Gay Project
- See All Toys and Gifts
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Cork Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Totally Corked"
- "Colourful Corcaigh"
- "Cork - The Rebel City"
- "First time in Cork - Make A Wish!"
- "Challenger's Cork Page"
- "Cork ~ Green to Gold"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cork
- Hotels in Cork
- Transportation in Cork
- Nightlife in Cork
- Restaurants in Cork
- Shopping in Cork
- Warnings and Dangers in Cork
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cork
- 45 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 74 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Cork?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cork
Videos in CorkSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (109)
- St Finbar's Cathedral- 17 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Blarney Castle- 26 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Shopping / Streets / Areas- 11 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Cork City Gaol- 7 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Kinsale- 6 Reviews, 12 Photos
- St Ann's Church- 13 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Hugenot Quarter- 7 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Fitzgeralds Park- 5 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Cobh....- 7 Reviews, 12 Photos
- University of Cork- 6 Reviews, 11 Photos
See All Cork Things to Do