"The Kinsale Magical Virtual Tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale by Ekaterinburg
Kinsale Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 378 photos
Kinsale ticks all the boxes: great harbour and marina; picturesque town with narrow streets and tiny lanes; steeped in history; gourmet capital of Ireland; exclusive shops; pubs to suit all moods.
Touristy ? Yes, inevitably, but everything in Kinsale reeks of GOOD TASTE and there are plenty of secluded places which youwill enjoy finding for yourself.
I've always loved Kinsale but now, bringing groups of German and French students here every Saturday and watching them fall in love with the place, I still find something new every time. This page is a virtual version of my Saturday tour, I hope you enjoy it.
In 1601 the Battle of Kinsale, one of Ireland's most significant battles with England,was fought here. The great Irish chiefs O'Neill and O'Donnell along with 3,000 Spanish troops under Don Juan D'Aguila made a brave attempt to halt the British occupation of Ireland. They failed, and the Irish leaders subsequently had to forfeit their lands and flee the country. Their lands in Ulster were then 'planted' (colonised) by Scottish and English protestants and the old Gaelic way of life, dominated by clans and chieftans, died for ever. Repercussions from this battle and the Battle of the Boyne in 1690 are still felt todayand are obvious every 12th of July when protestant orangemen march through catholic areas in the North.
After the Battle of Kinsale the British took care to protect the town from further invasions resulting in the fortiifications known as James Fort and Charles Fort. Consequently Kinsale remained a garrison town with soldiers billeted in Charles Fort until 1922.
Kinsale is 28km from the centre of Cork and getting there is as easy as hopping on the 249 bus from the Bus Station at Parnell Place or from the Airport. Kinsale Tourist office is at the junction of Pier Road and Emmet Street, very close to the bus stop.
Kinsale Chamber of Tourism: 021-4774026
- Pros:Beautiful, cosmopolitan atmosphere, always buzzing
- Cons:Can get a little crowded in Summer
- In a nutshell:A place where past and present are equally important
The White lady is a name you will come across very frequently in Kinsale, the popular White Lady Night Club being just... more travel advice
When it comes to shopping you could really go crazy in Kinsale. So many tastefully appointed shops with artistically... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Kinsale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kinsale Magical Virtual Tour"
- ""Irish Beauty Harbor Town Kinsale""
- "Selling Kinsale"
- "Golf on a cliff"
- "Falling in love with Kinsale"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kinsale
- Hotels in Kinsale
- Transportation in Kinsale
- Nightlife in Kinsale
- Restaurants in Kinsale
- Shopping in Kinsale
- Warnings and Dangers in Kinsale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kinsale
- 28 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Kinsale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kinsale
Photos in KinsaleSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos