"Lismore, Haven for travel Writers" Lismore by Ekaterinburg
Lismore Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 43 photos
Lismore is not on the main tourist trail (although signposted on the N72 to Killarney) and remains relatively unknown to visitors from other countries. On VT for example, there has not been one single page, tip or photo on Lismore up until now. With this page I hope to direct your attention to a beautiful town in the heart of the Irish countryside, dominated by a spectacular castle and so steeped in history, it can be difficult to find your way back to the present.
Sir Walter Raleigh lived here, as did the scientist, Robert Boyle, of Boyle's Law fame. Thackeray, Spenser and Betjeman are just some of the literary greats who came here for inspiration. There was a uuniversity here as early as the 8th century AD and manuscripts and artefacts from the Early Christian and nedieval eras are on display in the town.
Each year in June, Lismore hosts IMMRA, its Travel Writing Festival. In the past few years greats like Dervla Murphy, Michael Palin and Robert Fisk have held audiences in the palms of their hands. It's a 3-day event and for travel writers like all us VTers, a pretty cool way to spend a weekend.
Lismore actually has a direct connection with my VT name. The week I joined, I'd been reading 'Through Siberia by Accident ' by Dervla Murphy and the name Ekaterinburg just sort of leapt out and on to the page. Dervla Murphy is Ireland's most prolific travel writer and this woman has travelled the world, mostly on bycicles and mules and written the most enthralling books. Dervla was born and still lives in Lismore. I think we should make her an honorary VT member
- Pros:Will challenge your intellect and stimulate your imagination.
- Cons:Can be a little difficult to get to
- In a nutshell:You won't be sorry you came.
The Mall was one of Lismore's most fashionable streets, perfect for the hoi and not-so -hoi-polloi to take a... more travel advice
Foley's on the Mall is at the junction of Main Stret and The Mall and definitely caters to all tastes. You can have a... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Lismore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lismore, Haven for travel Writers"
- "Lismore Castle"
- "A Gem of a Town"
- "Lios Mór"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lismore
- 18 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Lismore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lismore
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos