"So Far(o) , So Good" Top 5 Page for this destination Faro by Ekaterinburg
Faro Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 769 photos
Everyone knows Faro Airport. Thousands throng its arrivals and departure areas weekly and then vanish westwards to the heavily touristed beaches and golf clubs of The Algarve.
Big mistake !
The city of Faro is that rarest of things in The Algarve: a city that exists for its inhabitants to live and work in and not to serve the great deity of Tourism. It provides a perfect taste of many aspects of Portugese life, culture and cuisine. Small enough to walk everywhere, with an incredibly beautiful Old Town, a short break in Faro will leave you feeling very pleased with yourself for being smart enough to have turned east, rather than west as you left the airport. We spent five days there recently and I would have happily stayed for another week.
In this page I'll mention some highlights of the Old Town but the laid back pedestrianised town centre and the slightly more dilapidated but hugely atmospheric Moorish quarter were also very picturesque The harbour ranges from glitzy marina at the Hotel Eva side to far more down to earth fishing boats and activity at the old Town side. Circumnavigating it on a sunny morning( including a short hop across the railway bridge) was a lazy and pleasurable meander, including close encounters with the local insect life and an occasional cat.
I'll also look at some of the many side trips you can take from Faro, by bus, train and boat.
Coming from a grey Irish winter, the colours in Faro will blind you. First of all there's that strange yellow thing in the sky ??? I believe it's called the sun but I have so little exposure to it, I've almost forgotten what it looks like. Then there's the BLUEST of blue skies, the shimmer of aforementioned sun glinting on water and great balls of orange fire constantly assaulting your eyeballs. Streets lined with Orange trees should be compulsory in every town in the world. Sadly, they're not but Faro has the best I've seen so far.
Just behind Faro's marina/harbour is this amazing waterworld of lagoons, sandbanks and little islands that appear and disappear with the movement of the tides. You can take a boat trip here or hire a boat yourself and spot some wildlife. Visiting one of the islands between Faro and the sea, especially one of the more deserted ones, adds a whole extra dimension to a trip here.
- Pros:An authentic taste of Portugal with no mass tourism
- Cons:Quiet but for me that's really just another Pro.
- In a nutshell:Get there before it changes.
It's hard to know how to describe the waterfront at Faro. Part pleasure craft marina, part fishing boat harbour, it's... more travel advice
At every restaurant we visited in Faro there was a EUR 2 -3 cover charge per person and for this you get a delicious... more travel advice
- See All Skullduggery:The Bone Chapel at Igrega...
- Fruit and Veg Heaven
- See All Fresh food and homely atmosphere
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Faro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Faro - Capital of the Algarve"
- "So Far(o) , So Good"
- "Capital of the Algarve"
- "A Quick Taste of the Algarve"
- "EURO 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Faro
- Hotels in Faro
- Transportation in Faro
- Nightlife in Faro
- Restaurants in Faro
- Shopping in Faro
- Warnings and Dangers in Faro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Faro
- 16 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Faro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Faro
Photos in FaroSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos