"So Far(o) , So Good" Top 5 Page for this destination Faro by Ekaterinburg

Faro Travel Guide: 232 reviews and 773 photos

The City Behind the Airport

Everyone knows Faro Airport. Thousands throng its arrivals and departure areas weekly and then vanish westwards to the heavily touristed beaches and golf clubs of The Algarve.

Big mistake !

The city of Faro is that rarest of things in The Algarve: a city that exists for its inhabitants to live and work in and not to serve the great deity of Tourism. It provides a perfect taste of many aspects of Portugese life, culture and cuisine. Small enough to walk everywhere, with an incredibly beautiful Old Town, a short break in Faro will leave you feeling very pleased with yourself for being smart enough to have turned east, rather than west as you left the airport. We spent five days there recently and I would have happily stayed for another week.

In this page I'll mention some highlights of the Old Town but the laid back pedestrianised town centre and the slightly more dilapidated but hugely atmospheric Moorish quarter were also very picturesque The harbour ranges from glitzy marina at the Hotel Eva side to far more down to earth fishing boats and activity at the old Town side. Circumnavigating it on a sunny morning( including a short hop across the railway bridge) was a lazy and pleasurable meander, including close encounters with the local insect life and an occasional cat.

I'll also look at some of the many side trips you can take from Faro, by bus, train and boat.

'Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of Fire

Coming from a grey Irish winter, the colours in Faro will blind you. First of all there's that strange yellow thing in the sky ??? I believe it's called the sun but I have so little exposure to it, I've almost forgotten what it looks like. Then there's the BLUEST of blue skies, the shimmer of aforementioned sun glinting on water and great balls of orange fire constantly assaulting your eyeballs. Streets lined with Orange trees should be compulsory in every town in the world. Sadly, they're not but Faro has the best I've seen so far.

The Rio Formosa Lagoon and Nature Reserve

Just behind Faro's marina/harbour is this amazing waterworld of lagoons, sandbanks and little islands that appear and disappear with the movement of the tides. You can take a boat trip here or hire a boat yourself and spot some wildlife. Visiting one of the islands between Faro and the sea, especially one of the more deserted ones, adds a whole extra dimension to a trip here.

• Pros:An authentic taste of Portugal with no mass tourism
  • Cons:Quiet but for me that's really just another Pro.
  • In a nutshell:Get there before it changes.
  • Last visit to Faro: Feb 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 6, 2009

• songlines's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2014 at 4:10 AM

You have enticed me to visit there Katherine.

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Hey, Brill aerial shot! Yours???

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 2:52 PM

This town sounds like it holds a lot of treasures to see and enjoy. Faro is one of those to savor the moments. YOu did a great job of describing the town and the pictures assist in the learning.

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I know Portugal well but the South is still undiscovered. I wish to visit soon! Will you be also in Krakow and Sibiu? I will visit Lviv in February this year but not for the meeting in June. I will be in Krakow and Sibiu. :-)

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM

I've never thought of going to Portugal, but your Faro page has had me salivating. I want to go there.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2009 at 9:28 AM

it looks like a lovely place

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2009 at 2:51 AM

Lovely page! Great photos and informative tips. You'll be tempting me all over the world if I'm not careful! LOL!! Gillybob greetings

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Katherine, thank you visiting my pages and your e mail. I saw your Faro doorknocker. This sort of doorknockers were so popular around Mediterrenean in 19th century. I like your Faro tips and photos too. Bora

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for your BDay wish! See you soon in Cascais ;-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Katherine, simply too good to describe! I never realized one could find such a haven on Algarve's eastern side. Your little pirate girl with one eye made me laugh, the off-shore islands & Local Customs were amazing, as was everything else....

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in Faro