"Viva Tarragona !" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona by Ekaterinburg
Tarragona Travel Guide: 356 reviews and 884 photos
This vivid splash of colour against a crumbling white wall is a real eye-catcher and the kind of charming detail you stumble upon everywhere in Tarragona. Just 100 km south of Barcelona, this Catalonian city sits proudly on a hill fringed by golden sand and a paintbox blue Mediterranean. I visited on a Sunday in mid-Setptember when the sunshine and light were as as bright and intense as in high summer but all the tourists seemed to have gone home. During siesta time in the old city the streets were totally deserted and I felt that I had finally found the romantic, mysterious Spain I had dreamt of before the reality check of the 'Costa' culture. This place seems to have escaped the wall to wall visitors plague that afflicts most Spanish cities. Discovering it was an unexpected and delightful gift and I would absolutely recommend it as a destination.
Tarragona reveals itself in stages as you meander upwards to the old town high above the Mediteranean. The strategic benefits of this location were not lost on the Romans, who appropriated it as their own during the Punic Wars. Nearest the sea is the Amphitheatre which you can see in this photo and then higher up near the Placa Del Rei, are the Roman circus, the praetorium and the forum.
At the very top of the hill is the cathedral, not towering but rather hovering benevolently over the warren of small, mysteriously shadowed streets which surround it. By the time you arrive here, Roman Tarragona, spectacular as it is , definitely takes a back seat to the traditional atmosphere of this truly beautiful Spanish city. This page, completely and unapologetically ignores the newer parts of the city and the port. What I fell in love with was the old town, so walk through it with me and hopefully I can show you what it was about this place that completely bewitched me. The Roman remains I have described in the general tips section and the rest of the medieval city in things to do.
- Pros:Atmosphere, Architecture, Location, Few Tourists
- Cons:None that I noticed
- In a nutshell:As Spanish as you could hope for
I've included this street in the local customs section because I think it is one of the most iconic images of Tarragona... more travel advice
In Tarragona going to the beach is no problem and the people who live here really have a good deal going for them. There... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Tarragona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of Tarraconensis"
- "Viva Tarragona !"
- "Extranero en Tarragona (+2 years)"
- "Tarragona – major Roman Empire’s colony in Spain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarragona
- Hotels in Tarragona
- Transportation in Tarragona
- Nightlife in Tarragona
- Restaurants in Tarragona
- Shopping in Tarragona
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarragona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarragona
- 23 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Tarragona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarragona
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Silk Road on BBC 4"
- updated a Tarragona Travel Page "Viva Tarragona !"
- Commented on one of Jerelis's Tarragona travel pages
- Wrote a Review Hanging out at Baixada Misericordia about Placas and City Squares in Tarragona Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visit the wine-country also"
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 43 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos