"Erasing Erice from my Memory" Erice by Ekaterinburg
Erice Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 99 photos
When I think that I considered pushing the boat out and paying through the nose to stay in Erice, I shudder. Why would I have considered staying in Erice , you might well ask ? I wanted somewhere really beautiful and special and for a day or two, flirted with the idea that 'this enchanting hill town' might be the place I'd been looking for. But the more photos of Erice I saw, the more I went off the idea and I can only thank providence for those photos.
But I certainly thought it would be worth a visit, especially as I planned to get there by cable car. The cable car was indeed thrilling. It's a long trip and the views over Trapani were wonderful. Far off in the distance I could see the windmills and the salt flats that had first spiked my interest in the area.
The sun was splitting the stones in Trapani but suddenly, our cable car was surrounded - almost submerged by - thick, grey fog. A fitting introducton to Erice where we shivered and slithered on wet cobbles and prayed for a break in the clouds.
We tried hard to tap into Erice's charms but everywhere we went was dismal, creepy and GREY. Erice brings a whole new layer of meaning to the colour grey :- grey houses, grey cobbles, grey streets, grey skies. Grey-t fun ? Afraid not.
Every so often the sun broke through the clouds but by the time you turned up your face to it it was gone. The only flashes of light came from the multi-coloured ceramics in the souvenir shops.
Maybe if the sun were shining, I'd have felt differently but I have to admit that after an hour or so in Erice, all I wanted to do was leave.
- Pros:The ride up there in the cable car
- Cons:An overwhelmingly morose, grey atmosphere
- In a nutshell:I can get damp and grey at home, why look elsewhwere ?
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Erice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekend in Erice"
- "Erice, medieval town on a hill"
- "sacred prostitutes"
- "A Medieval Splendor"
- "Erice - The home of Science"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erice
- Hotels in Erice
- Transportation in Erice
- Restaurants in Erice
- Shopping in Erice
- Warnings and Dangers in Erice
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Erice
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Erice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erice
Photos in EriceSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (101)
Latest Erice hotel reviews
- Baia dei Mulini Hotel
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2012