"Lecco - well worth a visit !" Lecco by Ekaterinburg

Lecco Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 170 photos

A great day out at Lecco

Page under construction.

In Bergamo for Euromeet 2012, I took the opportunity to visit Lecco. I had just one day to do some exploring on my own and I decided on Lecco because it was so close to Bergamo and so easy to get to by public transport. I was also intrigued by the unenthusiastic description of Lecco in my (admittedly ancient) Rough Guide to Italy and felt that there had to be more to it then the boring, industrialised place they described. After all, how could a town on the shores of Lake Como, surrounded by glorious snowcapped mountains, be unattractive ?

I planned on going to Lecco, checking it out and then catching the ferry to Bellagio. When I arrived I'd just missed a ferry and by the time the next one was due, the glorious promendade and lake views at Lecco had completely seduced me. I stayed with the swans and the promenading families and the ferry sailed into the mist without me.

For me, this turned out to be an excellent decision.

Things I didn't do that you might enjoy doing

My sole purpose in visiting Lecco was to see Lake Como and spend a few hours walking round the shore. But if you want to visit the town and experience some of it's other attractions, here are some things I came across on the discover Italy website.
www.italia.it/en/discover-italy/lombardy/lecco.htm

VILLA MANZONI:

For all fans or would be fans of the writer Alessandro Manzoni. This villa is a museum of artefacts, manuscripts etc., of the writer and also the City Art Gallery for artists working in the area. I'm definitely in the category of would-be fans but am currently trying to get my hands on a copy of 'I Promeso Sposi.'

Via Don Guanela, 1
PH: +39 0341 481249

NATURAL HISTORY/ARCHEOLOGICAL AND HISTORY MUSEUM
www.museilecco.org

PLANETARIUM
www.deepspace.it

At the tourist office - Informazione Turistche, in Via Sauro, you will get a map and details of the tour which visits the settings of Manzoni's most famous novel 'I promeso Sposi'. You can follow in the footsteps of Renzo and Lucia and really get to know Lecco at the same time.

Lecco is also a very sporty town with a great interest in football. The day I visited, there was a bike race going through town in the morning and a road race in the afternoon.

Read the other VT pages about Lecco...

.. and google it to see further photos in all seasons. Some of the pages here on VT have shots of Lecco in winter and lovely as it is in summer I was totally blown away by the stark drama of how it looks with turbulent skies and bare twisted trees. Obviously, a town for all seasons.

• Pros:Fabulous promenade and great views of Lake Como
  • In a nutshell:You will definitely enjoy a trip to Lecco
  • Last visit to Lecco: Jun 2012
  • Intro Updated Aug 29, 2012

Comments

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in Lecco