"A true taste of Sicily" Scopello Castellammare Del Golfo by Ekaterinburg

Chosen for its good looks

Good looks aren't always important but when I planned a trip to Sicily, I had one major objective - to stay in a really beautiful place. Unfortunately, Trapani didn't quite make that category and for a while I was wondering if this place existed in NW Sicily, within the reaches of public transport. Flicking though a guide book to Sicily, my eye was caught by a photo of the harbour in Castellammare del Golfo. Two or three times I went back to that page and that was it. I decided( soley on the basis of that one small photo) that this was where I was going to stay. An impulse but one that paid off handsomely.

The more I looked into this fishing town on the Gulf of Castellammare, the better it sounded. This photo was taken at the harbour looking back towards the mountains which surrround the town. On the extreme right of the picture is our hotel, The Cala Marina.

Weathered good looks

I should make clear that CDM's good looks aren't of the young and smart variety, It's old, weathered and downright shabby with many buildings empty and about ready to fall down. The harbour especially, is shabby in the extreme but what a change from marinas and yachts. Every morning in CDM the local people come down to buy their fish and once the drama of selecting, haggling, weighing and chatting is over, the fishermen settle down to mending their nets and looking after their boats. There's a little beach as well ( right outside the Cala Marina ) grubby and teeming with wild flowers but the perfect place to sit and look across at the harbour. Not a beach for swimming in but somewhere to read, photograph or just doze in the hot sun.

And there's more.......

The harbour and beach were what attracted me here but once again, CDM surprised and delighted us. Climb up the long and crumbling staircase from the harbour and you arrive in the town centre of Castellamare. A sizeable town whose main street winds right up to the foot of the mountains and every so often breaks open to reveal saturated blue, sea views. It's a very Siciian town, in places a bit dark and forbidding and at certain times in the day, totally deseted. There are several old churches to visit and many, many dilapidated mansions, formerly home to wealthy citizens. The back streets around the Chiesa Madre and castle are straight from an Italian movie set and sitting on the Corso Garibaldi at high noon, a bunch of cowboys suddenly riding into town would seem completely appropriate. As you can see, this place got well and truly under my skin.

• Pros:sea, mountains, harbour, beach ,town, totally Sicillian
  • Cons:A lot of uphill walking if you want to explore the town
  • In a nutshell:A beautiful, atmospheric, real taste of Sicily
  • Last visit to Scopello Castellammare Del Golfo: Apr 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 2, 2010

• rosata's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Your photos of Castellammare del Golfo are stunning - I think we can be agreed that it is a lovely spot!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
      Jan 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Definitely Lia. I must add some more photos and reviews to my page one of these days. When I was making my page I could only upload CDM through Scopello CDM, the destinations must have expanded since then.

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in Scopello Castellammare Del Golfo

Have you been to Scopello Castellammare Del Golfo?