"Bodrum and Gumbet" Bodrum by Ekaterinburg

Bodrum Travel Guide: 710 reviews and 1,642 photos

So This is Bodrum !

Bodrum is as much a happening as a town and though I knew it wasn't the kind of place I would like to stay in, I was certainly curious to see what all the hype was about. From a distance it looks enchanting. Blue bay with a castle right in the centre, white houses climbing up the hills and loads of greenery. Up close, the enchantment comes and goes but it's definitely worth a visit.

I went into Bodrum on a cloudy Monday morning and again on Tuesday to visit the market. It's such a lively spot that just browsing round town seemed more fun then seeking out traces of ancient monuments. The pedestrianised shopping streets, the marina and the castle are all very attractive but left me with a vague feeling that there had to be more than this. I partially found what I was looking for when I headed for the streets north and west of the bazaar but really I think Bodrum is a very charming and hedonistic place and trying to find more than this is missing the point.

Next Bay Over is Gumbet

VT doesn't have Gumbet on its data base of locations so I have to include it with Bodrum. Really it's just an extension of Bodrum, over the hill and round the headland and in my opinion, a place to drive through quite quickly. It doesn't have the buzz of Bodrum or the charm of Bitez and everytime we drove through it on the Dolmus, I was very happy to move on. What it does have is legendary nightlife and some of the craziest bars and nightclubs in the country. It also has quite a good beach and despite my negative reactions, I had two superb meals there, bought some jewellery at a reasonable price and took a boat trip from Gumbet harbour.

• Pros:A very, lively and colourful town
  • Cons:Too many streets devoted to shopping
  • In a nutshell:Bodrum is not for the fainthearted
  • Last visit to Bodrum: May 2009
  • Intro Updated May 21, 2009

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2010 at 5:21 AM

Sounds as if you really had a great time.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2010 at 2:58 AM

oh this restaurant's food sounds /looks delicious

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2009 at 3:16 AM

I was in Bodrum in May and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't see the market, or do the Gulet (not enough time for that) but have heard from others that it was good.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Your trip on the gulet sounds absolutely fantastic as does the food in some of the restaurants you visited. Your new necklace is lovely. I'm so pleased you had such a great time there.:)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Lucky you were Katherine and Denis going to heaven on the gorgeous Gulet 'The Outback'! I can imagine it after your rainy Ireland, haha! I felt something like that in Turkey a year ago after snowy Moscow...

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Badges & Stats in Bodrum