"Bodrum and Gumbet" Bodrum by Ekaterinburg
Bodrum Travel Guide: 710 reviews and 1,642 photos
Bodrum is as much a happening as a town and though I knew it wasn't the kind of place I would like to stay in, I was certainly curious to see what all the hype was about. From a distance it looks enchanting. Blue bay with a castle right in the centre, white houses climbing up the hills and loads of greenery. Up close, the enchantment comes and goes but it's definitely worth a visit.
I went into Bodrum on a cloudy Monday morning and again on Tuesday to visit the market. It's such a lively spot that just browsing round town seemed more fun then seeking out traces of ancient monuments. The pedestrianised shopping streets, the marina and the castle are all very attractive but left me with a vague feeling that there had to be more than this. I partially found what I was looking for when I headed for the streets north and west of the bazaar but really I think Bodrum is a very charming and hedonistic place and trying to find more than this is missing the point.
VT doesn't have Gumbet on its data base of locations so I have to include it with Bodrum. Really it's just an extension of Bodrum, over the hill and round the headland and in my opinion, a place to drive through quite quickly. It doesn't have the buzz of Bodrum or the charm of Bitez and everytime we drove through it on the Dolmus, I was very happy to move on. What it does have is legendary nightlife and some of the craziest bars and nightclubs in the country. It also has quite a good beach and despite my negative reactions, I had two superb meals there, bought some jewellery at a reasonable price and took a boat trip from Gumbet harbour.
- Pros:A very, lively and colourful town
- Cons:Too many streets devoted to shopping
- In a nutshell:Bodrum is not for the fainthearted
Dolmus (meaning 'stuffed'), is the name given to the small green minibuses that connect the villages round the peninsula... more travel advice
Tuesday morning is a good time to visit Bodrum. The weekly market is on in the market area across from the bus office... more travel advice
Ekaterinburg's Related Pages
Bodrum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BODRUM, TURKEY"
- "GREASE IS THE WORD"
- "BODRUM 2004"
- "BEAUTIFUL BODRUM"
- "Bodrum Bodrum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bodrum
- Hotels in Bodrum
- Transportation in Bodrum
- Nightlife in Bodrum
- Restaurants in Bodrum
- Shopping in Bodrum
- Warnings and Dangers in Bodrum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bodrum
- 10 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Bodrum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bodrum
Photos in BodrumSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 56 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rovinj Intro, 28 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cork Intro, 45 reviews, 70 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 23 reviews, 75 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 21 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 22 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Faro Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kinsale Intro, 28 reviews, 42 photos
- Trieste Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Estacar de la Duquesa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos