"Summer in Porvenir" Porvenir by Flyinggrandma

Porvenir Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 42 photos

Perfect peace

I have long wanted to visit Tierra del Fuego in Chile and the opportunity came when my daughter-in-law decided she wanted to spend Christmas in Punta Arenas and Porvenir and asked me to go with them. Silvana lived in Punta Arenas and she wanted to return for typically Chilean Christmas. First I travelled to Lima, Peru to meet up with them at their home and then there was an 18 hour bus journey to the border. We flew from Arica to Santiago and the next day from Santiago to Punta Arenas. After a few days to recover we took the ferry to Tierra del Fuego which takes about 3 hours depending on the weather. Southern Chile is beautiful and empty and the air is very clear. Even in summer the weather hardly gets above 15C when the sun is shining and it can drop to almost freezing at night. The people are very friendly and we had an enjoyable stay in a family home, which like all the houses I went into had a large circular gas heater which is kept on all the time so the house was always warm and cosy. There is very little to do in this area but the peace and quiet are great. The town only has about 4,000 inhabitants and traffic is almost non-existant. No traffic lights or roundabouts and one road in and out. Drivers are very courteous and I can't imagine there are many car crashes. The original people of the area the Selk'nam died out in the arly 20th century and there is an interesting exhibition at the local museum about them. The photo is of statues in the local park showing the clothing they wore. I don't know how they managed to survive in winter as we weren't too warm in wind and waterproof jackets while they wore animal skins.

• Last visit to Porvenir: Dec 2006
  • Intro Written Apr 3, 2007

Comments

Flyinggrandma

“Keep on going”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Porvenir

Have you been to Porvenir?

Latest Activity in Porvenir