"CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE" Corregidor Island by pres_16
Corregidor Island Travel Guide: 239 reviews and 904 photos
"Corregidor occupies a distinct place in Philippine history. The Chinese invader Limahong was said to have stayed in the island in 1574. Towards the end of the 19th century, it served as a Spanish outpost and entry point to Manila Bay. Here, incoming ships stopped to have their papers checked and corrected. This practice probably explains the island's name, taken from the Spanish corregir, meaning "to correct." Another explanation for the origin of the island's name comes from the Spanish corregidor, or the man who headed the corregimiento, the unpacified military zone during the Spanish period.
But it took the heroic events of the WWII to catapult Corregidor, by this time known as Fort Mills by the US Army, to fame. As a result of the Japanese offensive in December 1941, which culminated in the fall of Manila on January 2, 1942, the American high command established headquarters on the island. Douglas MacArthur left Corregidor for Australia in a torpedo boat, leaving Jonathan Wainwright in command. After the fall of Bataan on April 9, 1942, Wainwright was left in Corregidor with a force of 12,000 troops.
The island fortress was subjected to intense fire from Bataan, now under the Japanese; from Cavite, and from the sea. Day and night, the bombings and artillery fire were relentless. On May 5, 1942, Japanese amphibious forces landed on Corregidor. Eventually, on May 6, the island surrendered to the Japanese. Wainwright surrendered the entire USAFFE forces in the Philippines to Masahau Homma of the Imperial Japanese Forces. The fall of Corregidor marked the end of organized resistance against the Japanese in the Philippines.
At the Bottomside, you can find the ruins of the church. this is also the island's ideal campsite. more travel advice
pres_16's Related Pages
Corregidor Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour"
- "The Rock"
- "Corregidor: Fortress of Freedom"
- "Corregidor Island"
- "CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
- "Corregidor, Bastion of Freedom Fighters"
- "CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corregidor Island
- Hotels in Corregidor Island
- Transportation in Corregidor Island
- Nightlife in Corregidor Island
- Restaurants in Corregidor Island
- Shopping in Corregidor Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Corregidor Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Corregidor Island
- 14 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Corregidor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corregidor Island
- updated a Corregidor Island Travel Page "CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE"
- Uploaded a Photo to "CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE"
- Posted in Travel Philippines Forum "Re: VT Manila Christmas Party -..."
- Commented on one of Cess8's Corregidor Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review Tram in Corregidor Island Transportation
Photos in Corregidor IslandSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 32 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 34 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sagada Intro, 22 reviews, 132 photos, 10 travelogues
- Boracay Island Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 11 reviews, 101 photos, 8 travelogues
- Concelho de Macau Intro, 8 reviews, 93 photos, 8 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lamma Island Intro, 10 reviews, 76 photos, 6 travelogues
- Masbate Island Intro, 16 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Baguio City Intro, 19 reviews, 59 photos, 1 travelogue