"Mukawir / King Herod's hilltop palace of Machearus" Mukawir by Vabate
Mukawir Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 8 photos
The remains of King Herod's hilltop palace of Machearus still stands. This is the place where Herod Antipas beheaded John the Baptist at the request of Salome.
At that time Herod the tetrarch heard of the fame of Jesus,
And said unto his servants, This is John the Baptist; he is risen from the dead; and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.
For Herod had laid hold on John, and bound him, and put him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife.
For John said unto him, It is not lawful for thee to have her.
And when he would have put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet.
But when Herod's birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them *, and pleased Herod.
Whereupon he promised with an oath to give her whatsoever she would ask.
And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, Give me here John Baptist's head in a charger.
And the king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath's sake, and them which sat with him at meat, he commanded it to be given her.
And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison.
And his head was brought in a charger, and given to the damsel: and she brought it to her mother.
And his disciples came, and took up the body, and buried it, and went and told Jesus.
Warning: There are no restaurants or shops at Mukawir / Macchaerus. Take a 1.5L bottle of water with you along with... more travel advice
Vabate's Related Pages
Mukawir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mukawir / King Herod's hilltop palace of Machearus"
- "Al Mukawir"
- "King Herods Palace and St Stephens church"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mukawir
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mukawir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mukawir
Top 10 Pages
- Jordan Intro, 23 reviews, 112 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Aqaba Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Wadi Rum Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Amman Intro, 20 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jarash Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Madaba Intro, 14 reviews, 13 photos
- Dhahab Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Jerusalem Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Caesarea Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Al Karak Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
No friends yet.