"Dun Laoghaire - a town swallowed by a city" Dun Laoghaire by Red_Hugh
Dun Laoghaire Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 78 photos
Actually, don't think even its most ardent admirer could say this about Dun Laoghaire. It is a handy place to stay if you're catching the ferry to Britain and has enough to keep you intererested if you want out of Dublin for a day. Its also a nice place to live, though you have to be a bit careful round the town centre late at night (which is sadly true most places nowadays).
Its important to differentiate between the real Dun Laoghaire and its vast affluent suburbs. While these constitute some of the wealthiest parts of greater Dublin, they don't actually contribute much to the coffers of the local Council, as domestic rates were abolished in Ireland in 1977. Instead, Council money comes from a mixture of central funding, commercial rates and, recently, bin charges. Dun Laoghaire/ Rathdown Council is not actually very well-funded by comparison with the other local Councils in Co Dublin and parts of the town centre reflect this by being rather run-down!
However, the town has a wonderful asset in its seafront and harbour :-)
- Pros:Sea air and good walking
- Cons:Not much
- In a nutshell:If you like boats . . . .
Scotts used to be one of the better underage drinking joints in Dun Laoghaire. But again its gone slightly upmarket and... more travel advice
Red_Hugh's Related Pages
Dun Laoghaire Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to Ireland"
- "Dunleary (Dun Laoghaire)"
- "Dun Laoghaire - Gate to Dublin"
- "Dun Laoghaire - a town swallowed by a city"
- "Dun Laoghaire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dun Laoghaire
- Hotels in Dun Laoghaire
- Transportation in Dun Laoghaire
- Nightlife in Dun Laoghaire
- Restaurants in Dun Laoghaire
- Shopping in Dun Laoghaire
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dun Laoghaire
- 4 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Dun Laoghaire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dun Laoghaire
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dalkey Intro, 8 reviews, 2 photos
- County Dublin Intro, 7 reviews, 1 photo
- Dun Laoghaire Intro, 4 reviews
- County Wicklow Intro, 1 review
- Cashel 1 review