"Addis Ababa: A City of Belief & Disbelief" Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa by Sami29
Addis Ababa Travel Guide: 408 reviews and 3,013 photos
Ethiopia is an ancient land with rich history and cultural heritage. Ethiopians of every ethnic race or region are proud of their land. My visit to Addis Ababa in April 2009, came after years of speculations and contemplations. Most of the reviews I read, give readers high expectations, which are eventually turned into some sort of fantasies. My advice to all visitors, Europeans, Americans, Asians, Africans or Middle Easterns, not to build an imaginary dream-like and futuristic picture of your visit of Ethiopia. If you have been to the Far East, Thailand, for instance, do not compare them together; in all aspects of life except one, Thailand is much superior and advanced. However, the only credit that we must give to Ethiopia is its great, peaceful and indiscriminate people; here in Addis, all colours and races are treated same and equal. No discrimination at all.
My flight on Ethiopian Airlines started at 4.30 morning from Kuwait airport. It was an exhausting and uncomfortable flight due to the flight time and the seat arrangement (3-3). The plane landed at Bole International Airport at 8.30 Ethiopia time. Immediately, we were instructed to move towards the Immigration counter and stand in line. There is a security guy standing there, preventing the locals from jumping from one line to another. Since I had my visa, the whole procedure did not take more than 2 minutes and I was out of the immigration arena. I exchanged some dollars in the bank at the exit of the immigration counter and asked for a receipt. The clerk thought it was not necessary but I insisted and got it. In the Customs, I got my luggage but before moving towards the exit, a Customs officer who was watching me, came and asked for the luggage tag. I had it ready. He checked and asked me to go out. I could not believe my eyes. No clearance form, no checking of luggage, nothing.
Outside, I saw a sign which read: Tour & Taxi. It is located next to Desalegn Hotel kiosk. I asked for a taxi to Concorde Hotel. The lady said 80 bir but agreed to 70 bir (9$). On the way, the taxi driver tried to convince me that Concorde hotel was not a good one. I told him my friends stayed there and they recommended that to me. I wish I had listened to him.
Contrary to what you hear or read about the strict departure procedures, the ban on taking Ethiopian bir outside and the interrogations by the Customs officers, my departure from Addis Bole Airport was as smooth as a feather. Except for several checking points that you will find everywhere, I did not meet any problems at all.
During my one month stay in Addis, I stayed in three different hotels: Concorde on Debre Zeit Road, La Source on Meskel Flower Road, and Desalegn on EU Road. I visited more than fifty cafes and restaurants. I made friendship with street kids, taxi drivers and hotel bell boys. Will I be back to Addis ? I am not sure but certainly not until these road constructions are over.
- Pros:It’s a lively city, full of human hearts, big hearts
- Cons:Such a lively city is overshadowed by all types of pollution.
- In a nutshell:You Will Always Be on My Mind.
Amazingly, Piazza Area together with Bole Road, are the cleanest areas in Addis. Nevertheless, it is more than other... more travel advice
It is located on EU Road, near the Green View Pastry. The restaurant provides Lebanese food; shish kebab, lamb chops,... more travel advice
Sami29's Related Pages
Addis Ababa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ADDIS - THE NEW FLOWER OF ETHIOPIA"
- "I love cities with meaningful names"
- "Addis Ababa, Ethiopia"
- "Addis Ababa: A City of Belief & Disbelief"
- "Addis Ababa"
- "ADDIS ABABA - not so 'new' flower"
- "Overflowing with history and culture."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Addis Ababa
- Hotels in Addis Ababa
- Transportation in Addis Ababa
- Nightlife in Addis Ababa
- Restaurants in Addis Ababa
- Shopping in Addis Ababa
- Warnings and Dangers in Addis Ababa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Addis Ababa
- 17 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Addis Ababa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Addis Ababa
- updated a Addis Ababa Travel Page "Addis Ababa: A City of Belief & Disbelief"
- Posted in Travel Dushanbe Forum "Renting Apartments in Dushanbe"
- Wrote a Review Ethiopian Genuine Leather in Addis Ababa Shopping
- Uploaded a Photo to "Piazza Area: Tourists' Attraction"
- Commented on one of DAO's Addis Ababa travel pages
Photos in Addis AbabaSee All Photos (15)
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Addis Ababa Intro, 17 reviews, 15 photos
- Pattaya Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Ban Bang Saen (1) Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Thailand 2 reviews
- Bangkok 2 reviews