"Keith's Travels" KenmareKeith's Profile

Nearly Eaten by Lions

In South Africa - just North of Jo'burg , is a lion park. I was photographing the lions and suddenly in front of the car two were ..mating.
I photographed them for my stock photolibrary and the female took exception to my presence and jumped on the bonnet of the car.
The male went on the roof and the rest of the pride joined them ...
In all eight lions were crwling over th car with a female peering through the window nest to my face. Scary Stuff !
I kept the engine running and slowly drove out and the lions gave up on their attempt to get to me.
Their favourite trick (I learned later) is to eat the tyres of your car so you can't get away.If you keep driving they can't get a grip on the tyres.
Did I photograph them ?... no I was FAR too involved with getting away alive .
The strange thing is ..... every time I went to a zoo or lion park after that (for over 3 years) all the big cats instantly perked up and made for me. It was as if I had been somehow marked as prey .....
I'll try and find some photos of the lions and put them up here.

(I stuck to cute cuddly animals for a long time after that !)
Keith

• Intro Updated May 16, 2006

• irishgalmtl's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2006 at 2:32 AM

Greetings from Montreal, Many good wishes lots of happiness to you, hope your day is loaded with fun, And your blessings have just begun. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!....Donna :)

• jakiline's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 9:41 AM

That's an experience! Great story. For my part I think I saw a seal watching swimmers at Lahinch, county Clare... I live with a cat, quiet life

• PeteNL's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 12:27 PM

Welcome to VT, Keith! Great part of Ireland you're living in, have been to Beara and Kenmare quite a few times!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
KenmareKeith's Profile Photo

KenmareKeith

“Take time to smell the roses”

Ranked Member