"The Dominican Republic...the next Hawaii?" Dominican Republic by TheTravelSlut

Dominican Republic Travel Guide: 3,033 reviews and 6,792 photos

The beaches & water are what people come here for

And I can see why. If I did not have similar beaches and water where I live, I would be amazed at what Punta Cana has to offer. The beach sand is some of the best you will experience and there is plenty of it--miles in fact.

The Caribbean blue water is inviting and about 88 degrees right now.

Everyone can enjoy either the sun (be careful though, it burns fast at this latitude) or the shade of a palm tree on the beach.

My first trip to Punta Cana

I have friends that have previously visited the Dominican Republic and specifically, the Punta Cana resort area on the southeast side of the island. They all raved about the sand, the beaches, the water and the resorts.

Flying into Punta Cana you land on a modern "tropical" airfield and the terminal is built into huge thatched "palapas" or buildings.

The weather at 17 degrees latitude is more tropical than Florida but not so different that I was affected.

There's no shortage of great resorts in Punta Cana

Most resorts are all-inclusive (all you can eat, drink and be entertained with) and nearly all are beachfront or beach-close. I stayed at the Bahia Principe between Breezes and the Riu at the far east end of Punta Cana.

I was able to walk the beach onto Riu property but Breezes was too far away for a quick walk-on inspection.

My resort offered modern amenities, good food, good drink, and a great staff of friendly, helpful people. English was spoken (or understood enough) by 99% of the staff and combined with my limited Spanish, communication was not an issue.

• Pros:Relatively inexpensive and uncrowded, very friendly
  • Cons:Remote resorts and rough roads from the airport
  • In a nutshell:Probably like Hawaii was 50 years ago
  • Last visit to Dominican Republic: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2006

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Wish you were coming to the Aussie Meet...you sure made things happen in Airlie Beach! That photo reminds me of Whitehaven!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Sounds like a great way to spend a vacation. Lovely beach!

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2010 at 6:48 AM

I'm flattered that you compare my country with Hawaii :D

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Really informative tips and beautiful pics, thanks for sharing :-) Marion x.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 8:45 PM

Sounds like you had a great time at DR : ) Cheers, SL

TheTravelSlut

“"Good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere!" Helen Gurley Brown”

Badges & Stats in Dominican Republic

Have you been to Dominican Republic?