"The Dominican Republic...the next Hawaii?" Dominican Republic by TheTravelSlut
Dominican Republic Travel Guide: 3,045 reviews and 6,835 photos
And I can see why. If I did not have similar beaches and water where I live, I would be amazed at what Punta Cana has to offer. The beach sand is some of the best you will experience and there is plenty of it--miles in fact.
The Caribbean blue water is inviting and about 88 degrees right now.
Everyone can enjoy either the sun (be careful though, it burns fast at this latitude) or the shade of a palm tree on the beach.
I have friends that have previously visited the Dominican Republic and specifically, the Punta Cana resort area on the southeast side of the island. They all raved about the sand, the beaches, the water and the resorts.
Flying into Punta Cana you land on a modern "tropical" airfield and the terminal is built into huge thatched "palapas" or buildings.
The weather at 17 degrees latitude is more tropical than Florida but not so different that I was affected.
Most resorts are all-inclusive (all you can eat, drink and be entertained with) and nearly all are beachfront or beach-close. I stayed at the Bahia Principe between Breezes and the Riu at the far east end of Punta Cana.
I was able to walk the beach onto Riu property but Breezes was too far away for a quick walk-on inspection.
My resort offered modern amenities, good food, good drink, and a great staff of friendly, helpful people. English was spoken (or understood enough) by 99% of the staff and combined with my limited Spanish, communication was not an issue.
- Pros:Relatively inexpensive and uncrowded, very friendly
- Cons:Remote resorts and rough roads from the airport
- In a nutshell:Probably like Hawaii was 50 years ago
I would recommend that your primary reason to go to Punta Cana would be for poolside or beach activities. There are... more travel advice
The Travel Slut's Top 10 tips about the Punta Cana International Airport: 1. Upon arrival, you will have have to run a... more travel advice
TheTravelSlut's Related Pages
Dominican Republic Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dominican Republic"
- "Dominicana de pura cepa"
- "THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC"
- "Dominican Republic"
- "Republica Dominicana"
- "Not your typical vacation"
- "Dominican Republic, where everything started"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dominican Republic
- Hotels in Dominican Republic
- Transportation in Dominican Republic
- Nightlife in Dominican Republic
- Restaurants in Dominican Republic
- Shopping in Dominican Republic
- Warnings and Dangers in Dominican Republic
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dominican Republic
- 7 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Dominican Republic?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dominican Republic
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Happy Christmas & 2015 greetings..."
- updated a Dominican Republic Travel Page "The Dominican Republic...the next Hawaii?"
- Wrote a Review Spending money maybe more difficult than you think in Dominican Republic Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Spending money maybe more difficult than you think"
- Commented on one of JennysTravels's Dominican Republic travel pages
Photos in Dominican RepublicSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Key West Intro, 25 reviews, 107 photos, 4 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bradenton Intro, 18 reviews, 42 photos
- Bermuda Intro, 7 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jeju-do Intro, 7 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Australia Intro, 51 photos, 6 travelogues
- Jamaica Intro, 5 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Keys Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Alaska Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue