"North Carolina, USA" North Carolina by TheTravelSlut
North Carolina Travel Guide: 4,628 reviews and 9,663 photos
From the Outer Banks at the Atlantic Ocean to the highest point east of the Mississippi River (Mt. Mitchell at 6,684 feet above sea level) and from hiking in the foothills to snow-skiing at Beech Mountain and from birdwatching to fishing, I have found that there is something for everyone in North Carolina.
The state is rich in history and has everything from the Research Triangle of the Raleigh-Durham area to rural countrysides that have not changed in the past 100 years.
Driving the mountains is fun & fulfilling but seeing the Smoky Mountains, Appalachians & Blue Ridge Mountains from the air or some high point vantage point to me is breathtaking.
If I were to ever leave Florida, this is where I would like to live as it reminds me so much of where I grew up in Michigan and where I most recently lived at North Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
One way to sum up how I have experienced North Carolina people comes from a story from the Cherokee Tribe (Trail of 1,000 tears):
One evening an old Cherokee tribe leader told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.
He said “ Grandson, the battle is between two “wolves” inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.”
He continued, “The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”
The grandson thought for a moment and then asked, “Grandfather, which wolf wins?”
The wise Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
I love the countryside and this area in particular.
It is different than many other places in America and it's not just the surroundings but perhaps the genuine hospitality of the people.
Simple things a person tends to forget are here in North Carolina.
The area changes dramatically through the seasons and the photo below is typical of the terrain and natural beauty of western North Carolina.
The area is also full of history which makes it even that much more appealing overall.
- Pros:Panoramic views, country living, and laid-back residents
- Cons:Property development is a booming business
- In a nutshell:Relaxing in a porch swing, looking out over a vista of mountains
TheTravelSlut's Related Pages
North Carolina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North Carolina"
- "Blue mountains and sandy shores"
- "Carolina in my mind"
- "OBX (Outer Banks) to Great Smoky"
- "North Carolina , my second favorite State"
- "North Carolina Beaches"
- "North Carolina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Carolina
- Hotels in North Carolina
- Transportation in North Carolina
- Nightlife in North Carolina
- Restaurants in North Carolina
- Shopping in North Carolina
- Warnings and Dangers in North Carolina
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in North Carolina
- 17 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to North Carolina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Carolina
Top 10 Pages
- Key West Intro, 23 reviews, 97 photos, 4 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bermuda Intro, 7 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jeju-do Intro, 7 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bradenton Intro, 16 reviews, 37 photos
- Australia Intro, 51 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Keys Intro, 9 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 7 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Alaska Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Atlanta Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos
Top North Carolina hotels
- Kill Devil Hills Hotels
- 88 Reviews - 173 Photos
- Asheville Hotels
- 395 Reviews - 963 Photos
- Wilmington Hotels
- 228 Reviews - 399 Photos
- Asheboro Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 60 Photos
- Charlotte Hotels
- 564 Reviews - 635 Photos
- Boone Hotels
- 98 Reviews - 177 Photos
- Carolina Beach Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 10 Photos
- Greensboro Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 70 Photos
- Nags Head Hotels
- 116 Reviews - 193 Photos
- Warsaw Hotels
- 1 Review
- Raleigh Hotels
- 229 Reviews - 282 Photos
- Jacksonville Hotels
- 23 Reviews - 129 Photos
- Pine Knoll Shores Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Rocky Mount Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 3 Photos
- Hanging Rock State Park Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 19 Photos