Tarrytown Things to Do Tips by moiraistyx
Tarrytown Things to Do: 4 reviews and 8 photos
Visiting Lyndhurst was a last minute decision for me and Richie and Patrick. This was a real treat for us all, not just because the mansion was the back drop for one of my and Richie's favorite childhood shows, but also because the mansion itself has a very long and interesting history.
The mansion itself went through various stages of construction. The oldest part of the home was built in 1838 by William Paulding. George Merritt began additions to the house in 1864 and by 1865 the mansion had nearly doubled in size. Merritt named the home Lyndenhurst after the Linden trees he had planted there. Jay Gould took over the home in 1880 and again added onto the structure. The building is considered to be an example of Romantic Gothic Revival architecture.
My favorite room was the dining room. The combination of the colors, designs and furniture was absolutely beautiful. We all got a kick out of the bathrooms, especially the toilet paper dispensers. The upstairs art gallery is filled with beautiful paintings and trinkets of all sorts. I liked that there were two master bedrooms, his and hers. LOL The child's bedroom was charming and included a toy piano and the cutest little pair of shoes. Patrick noted a stuffed toy sitting in a basket that reminded him of our cat Buddy. In the study downstairs there was a really, really old piano. The tour guide invited a fellow visitor to put on a one minute concert. To our amazement the man played beautifully. Each room has different stained glass windows. Some were just amazing while others were boring.
There are a variety of tour choices for visitors from self guided to tours with tour guides who truly are masters of knowledge about the house and its history. No matter which tour you decide to take, you are gonna have to lay out a decent amount of dough, $12 for adults and $6 for children 6 and up. Until April the mansion is only open on the weekend for visitors, usually from 10 AM until 4 PM. The guided tours are available at 10:30 am; 11:30 am; 12:30 pm; 1:30 pm; 2:30 pm and last tour 3:30 pm. The entrance gate closes at 3:30. If you only want to visit the grounds there is a $5 fee per person. April through November the hours are 10 AM until 5 PM with guided tours offered Tuesday - Friday, 10:30, 11:45, 1:00, 2:15. 3:30 and 4:15 pm and Saturday - Sunday, 10:30, 11:30, 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30, 3:00, 3:30 and 4:00.
The grounds and first floor of the building are wheelchair accessible. Unfortunately the second floor is not.
Be sure to visit the gift shop on your way out.
Address: 635 South Broadway
Directions: From the NYS thruway take exit 9 and head south on route 9. The entrance to the mansion will be on your right hand side. For other directions see the website.
Phone: (914) 631-4481
More Reviews (3)
moiraistyx's Related Pages
Tarrytown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IS THAT A DARK SHADOW I SEE"
- "A VERY PLEASANT SURPRISE"
- "A Historic Town along the Hudson River"
- "Sleepy Hollow & Tarrytown--Hamlets of history!"
- "Tarrytown, NY"
- ",,, more to come ..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarrytown
- Hotels in Tarrytown
- Transportation in Tarrytown
- Restaurants in Tarrytown
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarrytown
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kampung Bota Kiri Hotels
- Tabio Hotels
- Gaba Hotels
- Sagay Hotels
- Coeur d'Alene
Badges & Stats in Tarrytown
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Tarrytown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarrytown
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 74 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Paltz Intro, 45 reviews, 114 photos, 6 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 25 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salem Intro, 35 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sleepy Hollow Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (99)
Latest Tarrytown hotel reviews