"HOW THE HECK DO YOU SPELL IT" Top 5 Page for this destination Poughkeepsie by moiraistyx
Poughkeepsie Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 73 photos
The word Poughkeepsie is derived from a Native American word which roughly means "campsite by small water". Experts believe this is in reference to a small stream in Poughkeepsie which feeds the Hudson River. Poughkeepsie was founded in 1687 and later became part of the Schuylet Patent. The City of Poughkeepsie was set off from the Town of Poughkeepsie in 1799 and was charted in 1854. Poughkeepsie was the site at which the U.S. Constitution was ratified by New York in 1788.
Poughkeepsie is fortunate to have several institutions of higher learning either in or just outside of the city. These include Marist College, The Culinary Institute of America (CIA), Ridley Lowe, Adelphi, Vasser College and Dutchess County Community College (DCCC).
Poughkeepsie has two major hospitals serving the community, Vassar Hospital and St. Francis Hospital. Vassar is a nationally ranked center for cardiac care and St. Francis is known for its Mental Health treatment.
Poughkeepsie has two bus system serving it, the city bus and the LOOP bus, which is run by Dutchess County. There are several cab companies which offers service to the community also.
For ideas of things to do in Poughkeepsie see my tips section. I will add to it often.
Back in the summer of 2005, my friend Matthew and I came up with the wonderful idea of designing our own tour of the haunted places in our area. Poughkeepsie is loaded with documented haunted places. We went to 4 of them, The Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetary, The Administration Building of Dutchess County Community College, The main building at the Hudson River Psychiatric Center and the Baptist Church on Carroll St. Although we didn't see any ghosts, we did have a great time. Keep an eye out for other Haunted stories and places.
Poughkeepsie is an area of extremes. In one section you have run down, buildings with high levels of crime, but 5 blocks away you have brand new luxury housing. I work as a social worker so I have had the opportunity to visit many of the not so nice areas in P-Town. I actually had a knife pulled on me once and another time fell face first down the front steps of a client's house. There are luckily lots of things to do here, including bars, blubs, theater etc. When in P-Town pick up a free copy of The Pulse, here you can find a listing of the wonderful things to do while you are here.
- Pros:Part of the very historic Dutchess County
- Cons:Terrible access to public transportation, hard to navigate.
This past Saturday, I got the pleasure of taking Pumpkin and the boys to their very first baseball game. The boys were... more travel advice
The Clinton House is a Dutch Colonial stone home built in 1765. After a fire in 1783, an order arrived from George... more travel advice
moiraistyx's Related Pages
Poughkeepsie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOW THE HECK DO YOU SPELL IT"
- "Poughkeepsie is both a City and a Town - really"
- "Shopping & A Snack"
- "Basaic Poughkeepsie Page"
- "POUGHKEEPSIE AS SEEN FROM A FATHER'S POINT OF VIEW"
- "marca's new Poughkeepsie Page"
- "JCLOTREL's new Poughkeepsie Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poughkeepsie
- Hotels in Poughkeepsie
- Transportation in Poughkeepsie
- Nightlife in Poughkeepsie
- Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poughkeepsie
- 16 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Poughkeepsie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poughkeepsie
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: how to reach from newark..."
- Commented on one of haunted1030's Poughkeepsie travel pages
- Wrote a Review HUDSON VALLEY RENEGADES in Poughkeepsie Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "HUDSON VALLEY RENEGADES"
- updated a Poughkeepsie Travel Page "HOW THE HECK DO YOU SPELL IT"
Photos in PoughkeepsieSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 74 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Paltz Intro, 45 reviews, 114 photos, 6 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 25 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salem Intro, 35 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sleepy Hollow Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues