"HOW THE HECK DO YOU SPELL IT" Poughkeepsie by moiraistyx

Poughkeepsie Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 74 photos

A BIT OF HISTORY

The word Poughkeepsie is derived from a Native American word which roughly means "campsite by small water". Experts believe this is in reference to a small stream in Poughkeepsie which feeds the Hudson River. Poughkeepsie was founded in 1687 and later became part of the Schuylet Patent. The City of Poughkeepsie was set off from the Town of Poughkeepsie in 1799 and was charted in 1854. Poughkeepsie was the site at which the U.S. Constitution was ratified by New York in 1788.

Poughkeepsie is fortunate to have several institutions of higher learning either in or just outside of the city. These include Marist College, The Culinary Institute of America (CIA), Ridley Lowe, Adelphi, Vasser College and Dutchess County Community College (DCCC).

Poughkeepsie has two major hospitals serving the community, Vassar Hospital and St. Francis Hospital. Vassar is a nationally ranked center for cardiac care and St. Francis is known for its Mental Health treatment.

Poughkeepsie has two bus system serving it, the city bus and the LOOP bus, which is run by Dutchess County. There are several cab companies which offers service to the community also.

For ideas of things to do in Poughkeepsie see my tips section. I will add to it often.

Haunted Poughkeepsie

Back in the summer of 2005, my friend Matthew and I came up with the wonderful idea of designing our own tour of the haunted places in our area. Poughkeepsie is loaded with documented haunted places. We went to 4 of them, The Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetary, The Administration Building of Dutchess County Community College, The main building at the Hudson River Psychiatric Center and the Baptist Church on Carroll St. Although we didn't see any ghosts, we did have a great time. Keep an eye out for other Haunted stories and places.

SOME GENERAL INFO

Poughkeepsie is an area of extremes. In one section you have run down, buildings with high levels of crime, but 5 blocks away you have brand new luxury housing. I work as a social worker so I have had the opportunity to visit many of the not so nice areas in P-Town. I actually had a knife pulled on me once and another time fell face first down the front steps of a client's house. There are luckily lots of things to do here, including bars, blubs, theater etc. When in P-Town pick up a free copy of The Pulse, here you can find a listing of the wonderful things to do while you are here.

• Pros:Part of the very historic Dutchess County
  • Cons:Terrible access to public transportation, hard to navigate.
  • Last visit to Poughkeepsie: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 17, 2007

• balfor's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2008 at 8:46 AM

Bummer, I was too busy working to see the rest of the comments.... Is his account gone as well?

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 7:55 AM

Mmm, a $2,00 movie theatre. Let's go and she the "Tapes". PJ

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Hi Thalia, Some good tips here. I've always wanted to see Poughkeepsie, mostly I think b/c it's a cool name. lol.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 6:18 AM

You have really added a lot to your page I think still love your page -- I attend quaker meeting on hooker street got to love the names around here I am attracted to many cultures in Poughkeepsie love all the new very small Mexican places on Main street

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 9:35 AM

You are still beautiful. Do you have a tip on that ball of twine?

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2006 at 5:52 PM

My husband spent his early teenage years here, but I haven't been there, yet. $2 movie, can't beat that. They now charge $7 for matinee at our local theater.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Great page on a lovely town with a weird name!!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2006 at 2:04 PM

Keen insights. Great warning against the hotel. Good emphasis on old homes (I love architecture). Well rounded tips and interesting reading. Excellent introduction with history and explanqtion as to the name.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 10:55 PM

I spent many summers in a camp near Poughkeepsie. Never knew about the haunted houses. Too bad.

• beret's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 1:18 PM

Hard to navigate? Say it aint so. There is Rte 9. And the day the power died...if you thought it was bad before.....wooohoooo!

moiraistyx Visits Here Frequently!

moiraistyx

“Engaged to member haunted1030 on 1/1/11”

Badges & Stats in Poughkeepsie

Have you been to Poughkeepsie?

Latest Activity in Poughkeepsie