"TIE DYE, TREES, BEER, FOOD, WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED" Top 5 Page for this destination New Paltz by moiraistyx

New Paltz Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 316 photos

New Paltz's history dates back to the 1600's, but where oh where did the name come from. Well that's simple, it comes from the name of the region which the patenees left in 1675; Mannheim, in what was then Die Pfalz or The Palatine region of Germany.

New Paltz is an area rich in art, music, wine and nature. Yes there are lots of hippies too. As of late, New Paltz seems to be the playground of the hot to trot yuppies. All over the town upscale mini bars and cafe are popping up that just don't seem to go with the original feel of the area. It should be interesting to see in which direction the town moves, yuppie or hippie.

I live in a small town about 10 miles outside of New Paltz, so I get to visit here often. There is a great shopping area located between route 32 and route 208. There are also a number a fantastic eateries that one should check out. New Paltz also has several parks that are great for the kids. When here one should take an hour or so and go for a stroll down the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail. Please don't miss the Stone Houses and Huegenot Street.

Just outside of New Paltz one can find several options for outdoor fun including the Mohonk Preseve, the Mohonk Mountain House and Minnewaska state park. I am a huge fine of Minnewaska. Check out my albums for Minnewaska through the seasons. Now that I have a hiking buddy who I have to keep up with, expect tons more pictures and lots more tips on specific trails that we explore. Rumor has it that there is a sculpture garden hidden off one of the trails up in the mountains. I intend on finding it this summer.

• Pros:Lots of stores and eateries.
  • Cons:Watch out for jay walkers.
  • Last visit to New Paltz: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 24, 2008

• virtualpatrick's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I must return to the Gilded Otter to sample all their micro brews. I think I tried the Pale Ale last year.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2008 at 7:03 PM

We've lived in the NY/NJ area for 20 years and never made it to New Paltz. Shame on us. Looks like some pretty country with good hiking.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2008 at 7:59 PM

wow some lovely new photos here - thanks for the tips and info too - great place to come for Fall shots I see!beautiful colours through all the seasons too. and just in your backyard!

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Thanks - I'll probably make the same apple-picking trip again this year. Cheers from NYC!

• May 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM

Hey Trish, finally got around to your virtual tourist stuff, this is a wonderful side of you I never knew. You have a truly great talent.

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Snobber snob? that sounds painful! :-)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Hiya Thalia. I can see why you love visiting this place!! Looks lovely :o) I can relate to the taking of pix shops...I had the same problem...a candle shop in Perth :o) ....needless to say my comments on vt were'nt so nice :o) Great pages!! Cheers, Ann xx

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Good bar tips. Have you ever been to Bacchus? It's a great places to get a brew!

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2007 at 2:39 AM

I am in Somalia, leaving today for Ethiopia, back home tomorow. Will cath up this week!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 5:58 AM

Looks like a place for shopping too :)

moiraistyx Visits Here Frequently!

moiraistyx

“Engaged to member haunted1030 on 1/1/11”

Badges & Stats in New Paltz

Have you been to New Paltz?