"TIE DYE, TREES, BEER, FOOD, WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED" Top 5 Page for this destination New Paltz by moiraistyx
New Paltz Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 292 photos
New Paltz's history dates back to the 1600's, but where oh where did the name come from. Well that's simple, it comes from the name of the region which the patenees left in 1675; Mannheim, in what was then Die Pfalz or The Palatine region of Germany.
New Paltz is an area rich in art, music, wine and nature. Yes there are lots of hippies too. As of late, New Paltz seems to be the playground of the hot to trot yuppies. All over the town upscale mini bars and cafe are popping up that just don't seem to go with the original feel of the area. It should be interesting to see in which direction the town moves, yuppie or hippie.
I live in a small town about 10 miles outside of New Paltz, so I get to visit here often. There is a great shopping area located between route 32 and route 208. There are also a number a fantastic eateries that one should check out. New Paltz also has several parks that are great for the kids. When here one should take an hour or so and go for a stroll down the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail. Please don't miss the Stone Houses and Huegenot Street.
Just outside of New Paltz one can find several options for outdoor fun including the Mohonk Preseve, the Mohonk Mountain House and Minnewaska state park. I am a huge fine of Minnewaska. Check out my albums for Minnewaska through the seasons. Now that I have a hiking buddy who I have to keep up with, expect tons more pictures and lots more tips on specific trails that we explore. Rumor has it that there is a sculpture garden hidden off one of the trails up in the mountains. I intend on finding it this summer.
- Pros:Lots of stores and eateries.
- Cons:Watch out for jay walkers.
Richie and I decided to stay home for our vacation this year and spend it together doing what we love most, HIKING.... more travel advice
Every fall this family that lives off of route 32 in New Paltz, holds a huge barn sale. This barn sale unlike other barn... more travel advice
moiraistyx's Related Pages
New Paltz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "TIE DYE, TREES, BEER, FOOD, WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED"
- "No words to describe New Paltz"
- "Historical Town"
- "A Day at Mohonk Mountain"
- "New Paltz -A surprisingly nice place to visit."
- "New Paltz"
- "New Paltz lover"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Paltz
- Hotels in New Paltz
- Transportation in New Paltz
- Nightlife in New Paltz
- Restaurants in New Paltz
- Shopping in New Paltz
- Warnings and Dangers in New Paltz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Paltz
- 45 Reviews
- 114 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to New Paltz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Paltz
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Study Abroad"
- Commented on one of virtualpatrick's New Paltz travel pages
- Wrote a Review HIKING AT MOHONK MOUNTAIN HOUSE in New Paltz Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Banitou Crag-Hiking and Rock Scrambles"
- created a New Paltz Travelogue "HIKING ALONG THE EAST TRAPPS"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 74 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Paltz Intro, 45 reviews, 114 photos, 6 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 25 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salem Intro, 35 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sleepy Hollow Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues