"ALPHABETICALLY, THE FIRST OF THE FIVE ISLANDS" Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx by moiraistyx
Bronx Travel Guide: 155 reviews and 386 photos
One great thing about The Bronx is its attractions. These include Yankee Stadium, home of the New York Yankees, (the Bronx Bombers); the Bronx Zoo; and the New York Botanical Garden.
Also found in The Bronx is the Hall of Fame for Great Americans. This national landmark was designed by renowned architect Stanford White. It overlooks the Harlem River
Pelham Bay Park and Van Cortlandt Park are also popular places to visit when in The Bronx. Orchard Beach is a large man-made public beach that can be found in Pelham Park. It was created by Robert Moses. Pelham Bay Park and Van Cortland park are two of the largest parks in New York City.
Woodlawn Cemetery is one of the largest cemeteries in New York City It opened in 1863. Some of the many famous people buried here include JAMES A. BAILEY, IRVING BERLIN, HARRY CAREY, MILES DAVIS, EDWARD KENNEDY "DUKE" ELLINGTON and AUGUSTUS JUILLIARD.
Famous Bronx neighborhoods include the South Bronx, a "Little Italy" on Arthur Avenue, Morris Park, and Wave Hill. This characteristic is actually what many in the New York area actually enjoy about visiting the Bronx; it has been claimed that the Little Italy on Arthur Avenue is more authentic than the more famous Little Italy in Manhattan.
Edgar Allan Poe spent the last years of his life (1846 to 1849) in the Bronx at Poe Cottage, a small wooden farmhouse built about 1812.
Believe it or not, The Bronx is widely considered to be the birthplace of hip hop music, circa 1973.
Though it has a great deal of attractions, the Bronx is known for being particularly "anti-tourist".
- Pros:Large variety of activities, restaurants, and parks.
- Cons:Bad reputation
A couple of weekends ago, I went to the Bronx Zoo with my son Patrick and one of his friends from school and her dad... more travel advice
What an absolutely beautiful place this is. The New York Botanical garden was established in 1891 and consists of 250... more travel advice
moiraistyx's Related Pages
Bronx Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to the Boogiedown."
- "I use to live here!!!"
- "ALPHABETICALLY, THE FIRST OF THE FIVE ISLANDS"
- "Little Italy in the Bronx"
- "Behind Enemy Lines"
- "The Bronx"
- "Old Train Stations"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bronx
- Hotels in Bronx
- Transportation in Bronx
- Nightlife in Bronx
- Restaurants in Bronx
- Shopping in Bronx
- Warnings and Dangers in Bronx
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bronx
- 17 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Bronx?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bronx
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: how to reach from newark..."
- Wrote a Review Do Not, I Repeat, Do Not Swim Here in Bronx Warnings and Dangers
- Commented on one of haunted1030's Bronx travel pages
- updated a Bronx Travel Page "ALPHABETICALLY, THE FIRST OF THE FIVE ISLANDS"
- Uploaded a Photo to "BRONX ZOO-HOLIDAY LIGHTS/WINTER"
Photos in BronxSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 74 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Paltz Intro, 45 reviews, 114 photos, 6 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 25 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salem Intro, 35 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sleepy Hollow Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues