"ALPHABETICALLY, THE FIRST OF THE FIVE ISLANDS" Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx by moiraistyx

Bronx Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 372 photos

SOME THINGS TO SEE WHILE HERE

One great thing about The Bronx is its attractions. These include Yankee Stadium, home of the New York Yankees, (the Bronx Bombers); the Bronx Zoo; and the New York Botanical Garden.

Also found in The Bronx is the Hall of Fame for Great Americans. This national landmark was designed by renowned architect Stanford White. It overlooks the Harlem River

Pelham Bay Park and Van Cortlandt Park are also popular places to visit when in The Bronx. Orchard Beach is a large man-made public beach that can be found in Pelham Park. It was created by Robert Moses. Pelham Bay Park and Van Cortland park are two of the largest parks in New York City.

Woodlawn Cemetery is one of the largest cemeteries in New York City It opened in 1863. Some of the many famous people buried here include JAMES A. BAILEY, IRVING BERLIN, HARRY CAREY, MILES DAVIS, EDWARD KENNEDY "DUKE" ELLINGTON and AUGUSTUS JUILLIARD.

SOME WELL KNOWN AND NOT SO WELL KNOWN FACTS

Famous Bronx neighborhoods include the South Bronx, a "Little Italy" on Arthur Avenue, Morris Park, and Wave Hill. This characteristic is actually what many in the New York area actually enjoy about visiting the Bronx; it has been claimed that the Little Italy on Arthur Avenue is more authentic than the more famous Little Italy in Manhattan.

Edgar Allan Poe spent the last years of his life (1846 to 1849) in the Bronx at Poe Cottage, a small wooden farmhouse built about 1812.

Believe it or not, The Bronx is widely considered to be the birthplace of hip hop music, circa 1973.

Though it has a great deal of attractions, the Bronx is known for being particularly "anti-tourist".

• Pros:Large variety of activities, restaurants, and parks.
  • Cons:Bad reputation
  • Last visit to Bronx: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 1, 2007

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Very interesting page with helpful tips!Sorry that I am a complete failure with baseball!!!:-)Thanks for sharing this page!Greetings

• kiwigal_1's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I missed The Bronx during my visit to NY but if I ever have the chance to be in NY again I will give the zoo and gardens a try :)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Hi, Nice page, when in NYC for 7 days , June'07 we asked about visiting the Bronx, told "No Go". Botanical Garden looks fabulous, should have ignored the advice.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2008 at 6:13 PM

Great page on the Bronx. We've done a few day trips there from Jersey and have always found something interesting to see and do. Bartow-Pell is one of our favorites. We also like City Island.

• Camping_Girl's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2008 at 9:21 AM

NYC - on my list! I'd better save this trip for my retirement - looks like I'll need at least a month!

• May 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM

OMG a yankee game. That's blasphemous. Go METS

• haunted1030's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2008 at 3:57 PM

You have me sold on going to the Bronx Zoo and the Botanical Garden is a must when we have some grown up time. You are just amazing.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2008 at 4:01 PM

I went up to the Bronx Zoo to see the gorillas - and of course an excuse to see the area with the name! but the autumn colours there were amazing! the best Ive ever seen!

• Mar 1, 2008 at 5:53 PM

I love animals! volopolo

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2007 at 5:45 AM

Nice tips on the Bronx, Thalia, I'll have to go over there and check out those parks. Looks like some are good places for bike rides. John from Mahwah

moiraistyx Visits Here Frequently!

moiraistyx

“Engaged to member haunted1030 on 1/1/11”

Badges & Stats in Bronx