Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path Tips by moiraistyx
Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path: 389 reviews and 718 photos
Organization of American States
The Organization of American States is the world’s oldest regional organization, whose history dates back to the First International Conference of American States which was held in Washington, D.C., from October 1889 to April 1890. The Organization’s four main areas of investment include advocating for democracy, defending human rights, increasing security, and development. The main building can be found on the corner of 17th Street and Constitution Ave. As far as I have learned there really aren't any tours of this center offered, however their website provides a wealth of information regarding the types of legislation and advocay they are involved with. In myopinion the architecture of the main building is the most interesting with the 3 archways and orante decorations.
Phone: 1 (202) 370-5000
Mary Livingston Ripley Garden
As I was strolling through the National Mall I came to this beautiful little flower garden marked at the begininning by wonderful birdhouses rises out of a very colorful flower bed. I really enjoyed this beautiful addition to the National Mall, not only were the flowers absolutely beautiful, but the garden gave me some much needed shade on that oh so hot June Sunday.
The Smithsonian Institute Women's Committee created this wonderful garden oasis in 1988 in honor of Mary Livingston Ripley, the founder of the Smithsonian Women's Committee. This is the perfect place to take a break from the museums and buildings and enjoy a cool drink and nice snack.
Court of Appeals
UPLOADING PHOTO TEXT TO FOLLOW
The Treasury Department
The Treasury Building may be DC's best kept architectural secret. The building was built in the Greek rivival style and was made from granite. At the time of it's completion in 1869 was one of the world's largest office buildings. Robert Mills, who was the architect for the Washington Monument, designed the east and center wings of the wonderful building. It is the 3rd oldest governmental building that has been in continual use in DC. Fore more than 150 years it has been a part of DC's and the US economic and financial history. In 1972, the building was declared a National Historic Landmark. The treasury building is located at 1500 Pennsylvania Ave, NW with the entrance at 15th & F sts., NW. Tours have been temporarily suspended.
Phone: (202) 622-0896
More Reviews (23)
moiraistyx's Related Pages
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neither American nor European City :-)"
- "Washington DC"
- "Washington D.C."
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Washington D.C."
- "My Hometown"
- "Welcome to Washington DC our Nations Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington D.C.
- Hotels in Washington D.C.
- Transportation in Washington D.C.
- Nightlife in Washington D.C.
- Restaurants in Washington D.C.
- Shopping in Washington D.C.
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington D.C.
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.
- 27 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington D.C.
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: how to reach from newark..."
- Commented on one of TravellerMel's Washington D.C. travel pages
- Wrote a Review Take a trolley tour about Bus / Tours in Washington D.C. Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "A TRIBUTE TO THE MAN WHO ABOLISHED SLAVERY"
- updated a Washington D.C. Travel Page "THIS ONE TIME, IN DC......"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 74 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Paltz Intro, 45 reviews, 114 photos, 6 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 25 reviews, 93 photos, 1 travelogue
- Salem Intro, 35 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination San Juan Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 27 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Atlanta Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bronx Intro, 17 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 18 reviews, 48 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sleepy Hollow Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (102)
- The White House- 130 Reviews, 208 Photos
- Washington Monument- 117 Reviews, 219 Photos
- U.S. Capitol Building- 143 Reviews, 366 Photos
- Lincoln Memorial- 142 Reviews, 284 Photos
- Jefferson Memorial - The Tidal Basin- 94 Reviews, 188 Photos
- Ford's Theatre - Petersen House- 34 Reviews, 69 Photos
- National Gallery of Art- 64 Reviews, 193 Photos
- World War II Memorial- 68 Reviews, 191 Photos
- Arlington National Cemetery - House- 106 Reviews, 178 Photos
- Korean War Veterans Memorial- 71 Reviews, 169 Photos
See All Washington D.C. Things to Do