"Chill time on the crater's edge" Top 5 Page for this destination Fira by Gillybob

Fira Travel Guide: 114 reviews and 494 photos

What a VT time!

Thanks to the wonderful JanetAnne and Galatea (Sinequanon) for arranging the 2007 European VT Meet on Thira (Santorini) and giving us all a wonderful opportunity to see this beautiful Greek island - it is certainly a sight worth seeing.

Fira is the main town on the island and was the base for most VT-ers attending the weekend long meeting. On Friday, we had a lovely sunset at Oia (Ia) followed by dinner next to the port at Ammoudi.

On Saturday, many of us hopped aboard the boat to cruise around the caldera and enjoy a late lunch at the village atop Thirassia.

On Sunday evening, it was an opportunity to swap e-mails and say a final goodbye to friends made during the weekend whilst enjoying dinner at a restaurant in Fira itself.

All in all, a great time was had by all and the venue was perfect!

• Pros:Beautiful views across the caldera where the volcano is still nice and hot!
  • Cons:Lots of steps - up and down!
  • Last visit to Fira: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 16, 2007

• Mar 9, 2011 at 11:16 PM

gosh i wish i had made this euromeet. sun, oizo and daooter... what more could you want!

• DEY's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Love your photos of Santorini! I need to get my Greece pages done. You give me incentive!

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Hey Gillian, It was great looking back on your Santorini pages - channel 3 in Loizos, hahah! Thanks for visiting my pages, madness refusing cake I know, don't know what came over me! Enjoy the preparations for Krakov, I will be there in virtual spirit ;-)

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2009 at 1:55 AM

Not even left yet, I am required to do a long report on Friday nights now, have to do a conference call today as well!

• mirchica's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2009 at 1:49 PM

nice place,I've never been on a Greek island.Now I know where to go About the candles-people working there must throw the candles when they become smaller(not imidiately),they protect from fire. I saw in Romania-they lit the candles in a tray with water.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2009 at 5:50 AM

beautiful pictures - wonderful place to visit. could it be that the candles were being snuffed out for recycling?

• rosie235's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 1:13 AM

do enjoy....i'm sitting here reading a book.. so many things to do and no motivation to do them...lol..

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2009 at 3:10 PM

The Taverna sounds like a great place to spend some time in Fira. And, I'm wayyyyy over 21 years old, I think I might just have to see what's happening over on channel 3. Nice page.

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Nice accommodation & restaurant tips! It must have been a great VT meet. I spend only 1 days on Santorini but got to climb the volcano & swim in the Aegean--pretty special stuff for me!

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo