"Gateway to the Peak District National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton by Gillybob
Buxton Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 202 photos
This spa town in Derbyshire has the highest elevation of any market town within England. It's hardly surprising, then, that there were still signs of snow during our visit in April 2013 - a year when Spring seemed to forget to arrive and we were still contemplating the winter-like temperatures in April.
Until 1974 it was a municipal borough, but was then merged with other small towns, including Glossop, to form the local government district and borough of High Peak within the county of Derbyshire.
It is home to Saint Ann's Well and Poole's Cavern and is famous for its geothermal spring from which the water is bottled and sold internationally by the Buxton Mineral Water Company.
This town makes for an excellent base from which to explore the surrounding Peak District National Park and its wonderful villages, hamlets and towns.
September 2013 sees The Ooop North Crew hosting a weekend meet "Catch an English Summer - Can We?" in this beautiful market town. We hope to see you there!
- Pros:Great base to access the Peak District National Park
- Cons:If Winter lingers, it lingers extra-long here!
- In a nutshell:Glorious countryside surrounding quaint English country spa town.
Arriving in Buxton via train? Don't forget to check out the historic fan window. In 1863, two railways arrived in... more travel advice
We stopped here for a late lunch during our visit to Buxton in April 2013. The pub has an outdoor seating area to the... more travel advice
Gillybob's Related Pages
Buxton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to the Peak District National Park"
- "No Sheep 'til Buxton!"
- "Bubbling Buxton"
- "Buxton in Pictures"
- "Buxton derbyshire"
- "Buxton, Derbyshire"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buxton
- Hotels in Buxton
- Transportation in Buxton
- Nightlife in Buxton
- Restaurants in Buxton
- Shopping in Buxton
- Warnings and Dangers in Buxton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Buxton
- 11 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Buxton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buxton
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: EuroMeet 2017"
- updated a Buxton Travel Page "Gateway to the Peak District National Park"
- Commented on one of ricky52's Buxton travel pages
- Wrote a Review Buxton Railway Station Fan Window in Buxton Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gateway to the Peak District National Park"
Photos in BuxtonSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Bergamo Intro, 47 reviews, 182 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 16 reviews, 83 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dolgellau Intro, 20 reviews, 77 photos, 4 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sowerby Bridge Intro, 19 reviews, 61 photos
- Orlando Intro, 16 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos
- Darwin Intro, 6 reviews, 62 photos, 7 travelogues
- Albuquerque Intro, 14 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Barbados Intro, 16 reviews, 47 photos