"A Step Back in Time" Skegness by Gillybob

Skegness Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 76 photos

A visit to Skegness on England's Fun Caost is like taking a step back in time.

My family used to have a static caravan on one of the plethora of caravan parks in and around Skegness (yes, this IS caravan central) and I was taken there regularly as a child. On a recent return visit, I was gobsmacked to find that, almost 30 years later, the place has hardly changed. The Royal Oak was still at the corner of the caravan park and the Linga Longa Chippy was still opposite - with its original sign! Having said this, the caravan park itself has changed immensely and no longer resembles the park of my childhood (given the memories that this place holds, this is probably a good thing).

At Skegness Pier and along the seafront at Skegness, everything was still there that I remember, including the log flume ride which must now be over 40 years old - and still going strong!!

Skegness itself is a great base for a visit to Lincolnshire and the Lincolnshire Wolds. Lincoln itself is just over an hour's drive away and the Cathedral and Castle there are well worth a visit.

• Pros:Step back in time for a wonderful experience
  • Cons:This is British seaside at its windiest!!
  • In a nutshell:Skegness, bracing back in time!!!
  • Last visit to Skegness: Apr 2007
  • Intro Written May 2, 2007

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 1:57 AM

Gillian, great accomodation tip about Skegness. I have never been to this lovely town, but at least I have at least once been on a train with Skegness as final destination. *winkygrin*

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 5:19 AM

Gillian, you have explored lots of fine places I must say... Good for you! ><><><><

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2009 at 1:40 PM

SkegVegas!!!!!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2008 at 11:14 AM

I naively thought that it was impossible to burn in the UK...but my face today proves just how wrong I was! ;-)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 3:31 AM

good accomm tip.

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 2:10 AM

Never been to Skeggie, but I've hearnd it's so bracing. That's the fun coast for you, r indeed the English seaside generall. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

Gillybob

“Where to next?”

Badges & Stats in Skegness

Have you been to Skegness?

Latest Activity in Skegness